refinishing a strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Boogie92801, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Since I don't want to pay $8,000 for that cool Sherwood Forest Green Metallic (SFGM) Strat. I thought it would be cool to scrape the poly off my American Standard and paint it with a urethane coat of SFGM.

Is it easy to get urethane to do it? Am I insane or is there someone in so cal that does it well? I would just buy a warmouth but they are poly finished.

Any other recommendations?

2. mtndog

mtndog Gold Supporting Member

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I think poly can be a bear to remove but I'll admit I've never tried it.

If it's too much, consider buying a new body, having it painted and sell the body you have.

4. MikeP

MikeP Member

Another option is to just get a Warmoth body
    Then you could sell yours & almost break even.
    You know their paint is really great now. This is coming from a got to have Nitro guy. Their poly coat is so thing now & light & really well done.
    Of course you could also just buy a unfinished body from them or USACG

You can actually pick a light alder body from Warmoths show case & have it painted Sherwood Forest Green Metallic for arounf 4 or less total.
    Tough to beat ??

5. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I have thought of that but apparently I can have it done in nitro for 250. Do the warmoth bodies fit well?

6. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Note that Reranch's Sherwood Green is NOT Sherwood Forest Green Metallic. It shimmers, but it's not the '62 RI Sherwood Green Metalic colors that you see out there, Reranch's like the original Sherwood Green that you see that is more of a flat color with some shimmer (not Metallic). If you want the Metallic I'd suggest you get a '62 RI body of Ebay and see if that does the trick for you. Or do what MikeP says...get someone to do it for you. I would suggest GR Guitars. I just got a gold metalflake strat body from them and it's great. Very good job.

7. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I think I'll have it done since I know it will fit together well. Mine is a an American Standard (I bought it new in 1984 - one of the first american standards) a re-issue body will be routed for a vitage bridge and the strings will not line up on the neck the same as an American standard bridge.

I like the vintae bridge but my neck is very familiar.

8. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Ahh sorry for the oversight, I would then suggest contacting a few places and see if they'll finish a body that's an American Standard type.

9. MikeP

MikeP Member

Yes they fit perfectly. They are a Fender Licensed company.
    Also they drill for any bridge. $250 is a good price as long as the person doing it is also good. With Real Nitro it will be awhile before you have you guitar back though. Is htis your only guitar?
    Good Luck & post pics of your project when your done.

10. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I have a few guitars. I'll get buy. I think the paint guy might be the guy to go to. Close and I think he has a good rep and hell do it in nitro.

I am mostly concerned that it will look smooth and stock.

11. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Sorry,

I usually don't do nitro. It is illegal in So. Cal and your original post mentioned urethane.

Not exactly sure where the nitro thing came in. Just wanted to make it clear to the other members that are requesting quotes.

It will be a urethane primer/sealer on the wood, a thin basecoat color. and a thin urethane clear coat.

Thanks,

Larry

Smooth, any level of gloss from flat to mirror like and stock is no problem.

12. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

paintguy, are you saying that if you live in SoCal, and bought a couple of cans of Nitro Reranch and refinished your guitar in your own garage, you'd be technically in violation of the law?

13. kiteflyer

kiteflyer Member

Wow, I wasn't aware of that. It's harder on the environment than spraying poly?

In response to stripping poly; I've done it and it's a pretty ugly job. Lots of nasty Aircraft Remover (available at auto part stores) and sanding. I would just buy a new body if I were in your shoes...

14. paintguy

That is 100% correct. Actually, most aerosols are exempt from the law. I don't use aerosols though. :)

Technically, you are correct.

15. paintguy

It's just nitro and all lacquers have so much solvents in them that they evaporate in the atmosphere. Poly has very little solvent to evaporate. Health wise, poly or urethane have to be 20x worse. Go figure?:confused:

16. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Note to self: check w/ local state laws to make sure that I don't end up in the federal pokey ;)

17. paintguy

18. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

from the pics we saw, it was a well-deserved one!

19. MikeP

MikeP Member

I am pretty sure these lawsdo not pertain to a individual.
    Of course if your a commercial business doing many paint jobs it would apply.
    If your a individual doing one body no problem. ***afaik***

If it were illegal for an individual to spray laquer then the product itself would not be allowed for sale in those states. Right??