Refinishing my Flying V - Australian products?

Che_Guitarra

I've got a faded Flying V. I love the guitar, but never been a fan of the finish. I want it white. Seeing I now have an air compressor and spray gun in my shed I have the means to do something about it.

Prep is everything, but a lot of the often recommended products are specific to the US market and hard/impossible to track down here in Australia. Begs me to ask - what Australian paint strippers and grain fillers can be recommended for a refinishing project?

Che_Guitarra

Ahhh, so Timbermate is OK for the job? I thought grain filler used on guitars would be more akin to an epoxy plastic, like Bondo.

John Coloccia

Cold Supporting Member
Ahhh, so Timbermate is OK for the job? I thought grain filler used on guitars would be more akin to an epoxy plastic, like Bondo.
Nah. Even drywall compound works just fine. Follow their instructions for use as a grain filler. Watch videos. Watch Robert O'Brien's video on grain filling.

All you're doing is filling in the tiny little pores. There's a million ways to do it. You can even apply a big glob of shellac, and then rub the guitar with sandpaper. That will fill it in with wood dust and shellac. The traditional way of doing it when you french polish is apply pumice, and then rub and rub and rub. The pumice is abrasive and does the same thing as sanding...just takes a lot longer.

Since you're painting it a solid color, the task is even easier because you don't need to concern yourself with tinting the filler, wood staining or anything like that.

BTW, what type of wood is your V? Are you sure it needs to be filled?

Che_Guitarra

It's mahogany. I image any attempt to refinish will come up best with a bit of filler - the faded finish is dimpled at every pore in the mahogany grain - maybe suitable for the current matte finish, but I think a solid gloss colour will be done best justice with a totally flat prep base.