Reflections on My Personal "PedalPocalypse"

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Holzar88, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Holzar88

Holzar88 Silver Supporting Member

So the tax man exacted his due this year, and I've just gone from 23 pedals to five survivors: Zoom MS-100BT, JHS-modded Bad Monkey, Weehbo JVM Drive, Lotus Yellow Delay and a Zoom G3.

Even sold my two boards and both power supplies and went back to a lowly five-plug One Spot on a homemade board.

Played some tonight, and frankly I'm just as happy with my tone now as when I had 12 or 13 pedals on my PT-1. Do I miss some of the cooler ones? Sure. But it's as much about missing the idea of a cool pedal than really missing very much tonally. The Zooms handle so much; and their delays, choruses, mods and other stuff are close enough to what I had before that I still sound like me, and sound like what I want to sound like. Perhaps having just five pedals in the chain has cleared things up too as far as tone suck was concerned. And the One Spot? Well, it's about as quiet as the Pedal Power/BBE Supacharger I had were.

Anyway, after playing tonight, I was strangely happy. My rig still sounds great. It's just smaller, lighter, cheaper and more humble. (Now if only I could figure out how to do that to myself in a more general sense ...)

Am I saying I'm never going to buy more pedals again? Nah. But for now, the pain of the tax man's vengeance notwithstanding, it's actually OK. Definitely a clarifying experience.

Thanks for listening. And thanks to the many of you who helped me out with my epic sale 18 pedals and other stuff too. You guys are awesome ... especially one TPGer in particular who's become a friend here and actually just spontaneously sent me two pedals to help me out. I don't want to out him because I don't want to embarrass him in any way, but man, what an awesome thing. Forums can have their crappy moments. But to have someone come through like that when the chips are down is seriously terrific, an expression of generosity I'll look to "pay forward" at a bit better time for me. You know who you are, my good man, so thank you!

2. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

Love the smell of velcro in the morning?

3. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

4. la noise

la noise Supporting Member

Good stuff, Holzar. :aok

I saw your thread in the Emporium. You have a great attitude about it all.

I am sure we could all learn a thing or two from you about what is
    truly important in the long run. :)

Oh, and yes, this place is made up of mostly awesome people with
    good hearts and great spirits. :aok

5. sleewell

sleewell Member

6. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I have all I needed with a EQD speaker Cranker into Keeley Magnetic Echo today.
    When less is more, music happens.

7. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I have a similar experience to yours. I have had a ton of pedals over the years, but when expenses of a divorce forced me to get down to bare bones, I rediscovered some things I loved about the early days of playing when all I had was an electric guitar and a practice amp. Sometimes, less is more :)

Even now that my pedal assortment is starting to grow a bit crazy, I still take it back to my Esquure and a single channel amp when writing...just to keep me from relying on an effect or other trick to get my point across. I love having all of the extras at my disposal, but don't think I'll ever go back to a place where I think of my rig as this ginormous thing...it will always be a minimalist base, with a few well chosen accents.

8. melodiusthunk

melodiusthunk Bronzd & Supported Member Silver Supporting Member

:stir So the CURE for GAS = IRS?? :stir

9. dcbc

dcbc Member

I still have the big board, but have started building the little 4 pedal board. Simplicity has its place for a reason.

10. dbp512

dbp512 Member

Smells like, victory.

Sorry about the loss of your pedals, OP, but I'm glad you're making the most of it, and even appreciate your gear more without them. I guess I shouldn't feel too bad about only owning one pedal then.

11. OilsFan

OilsFan Supporting Member

You could also have made arrangements to pay the IRS in affordable monthly installments and probably kept your gear.

12. Billy Idle

Billy Idle Member

Sometimes it is good to go back to essentials. You're brave, OP !
    The more pedals I have, the smaller my board is. Go figure...

13. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Non-attachment is a great thing. You've prompted me to get off my arse and purge the pedal box.

Besides, how many here started out with just one or two pedals? For years in the 90's, all I had was a Guvnor and a tuner. Bet lots of folk just had a DS1 and a Crybaby. Rich guys may have had a Fuzzface, too...

14. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

15. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

That's funny.

When you point at something, a dog looks at your finger but a human (hopefully) looks in the direction that you're pointing.

I wonder where he would look?

-bEn r.

16. Holzar88

Thanks for all your comments, gentlemen. One of the other side effects of my pedal reduction has been a bit less time spent here, so I just saw all of these comments.

I think on balance it's been a good thing. Not to get preachy or too philosophical, but it's so easy to just lose perspective on what matters in life. Selling my pedals hasn't instantly made me a better person. (And I still think they're a lot of fun.) But I've been slightly less fixated on gear, and perhaps a teensy bit more present with my family. That's not why I did it, of course. But it's definitely a collateral benefit.

As for paying the tax man, yeah, I just wanted to be done with it. Selling the pedals moved me a couple grand further in that direction, so it was probably worth it.

And what's left still sounds pretty darn good.

EDIT: And in the spirit of full honest disclosure, I have to admit that new ADA MP-1-Channel pedal looks pretty awesome. So there, probably not completely cured of GAS.

17. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

...and thus it begins anew

:rockin

18. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

Yeah, it's just stuff
    I had a stupidly large collection of vintage synths but lost them all because of an idiotic court case

As long as I've got my good acoustic I'm happy really

19. Holzar88

Guilty as charged. Well, I'll be guilty at the point the pedal gets charged, which likely won't be for a while yet.

20. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Silver Supporting Member

I recently went from 28 down to 13 pedals. Not because I had to for any reason, I just had too many I wasn't using. My amp collection, however, continues to grow. I also have a strange urge to get lots of rack gear.