Reformed PRS Hater.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Black Squirrel, Jan 25, 2019.

1. big mike

big mike Gold Supporting Member

Never mind the sheer# of studio guys using them now
    Brent mason
    Shawn tubbs
    Kenny Greenburg
    Guthrie Trapp has used DGTs

ProfRhino likes this.
  2. gtrbarbarian

gtrbarbarian Silver Supporting Member

How do the DGTs compare to the normal 22 fret PRS models?
    The model seems universally loved, but I've not had the chance to play one...

3. Juppstein

Juppstein Member

Check out stuff from Carlos Santana, John Mayer (i.e. with Dead&Co.), Alex Lifeson or Dave Grissom, that should cover quite a few genres and styles.

e??? and Nickstrtcstr like this.
  4. corbs

corbs Supporting Member

Compare how? It's based off of David Grissom's old McCarty model and tuned to his specs. I'm lucky every day to have one.

5. therealjoeblow

therealjoeblow Member

Damn it! I told my wife I had enough guitars. Now I'm going to have to clarify... I have enough sunbursts and red guitars... but I don't have any blue ones!

Seriously, one of those is following me home this year.

Cheers
    TRJB

VooDooClown likes this.
  6. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

Just to relay my own experience... my supervisor, who's doing pretty good money-wise, bought a PRS. He fits the stereotype to a T; he knows about four chords, never practices, but still buys guitars like PRS. I felt it was just like holding and playing a Gibson, but with a different weight profile, obviously lighter. From the looks, they try to be Strat-like, but I didn't any Fender vibe to speak of.

So if I were in the market for a blingy carved top HH, I might look at either PRS or Gibson. The question is who do I hate less: Henry or Paul? I think my decision would be motivated by whichever retires first.

7. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

Tim Pierce

Nickstrtcstr, ProfRhino and big mike like this.
  8. sahhas

sahhas Member

Friend of my son bought an SE last year, it’s a nice guitar

9. BoogieManSC

BoogieManSC Supporting Member

I own a few Core & Artist models, but also just picked up a less expensive CE24 model which is a bolt-on... I know they really have a cult following but I have to say I'm blown away by this guitar! Snap & cut unlike any of my other models and the split pickup sounds are very usable which hasn't been the case in some other guitars ive owned with the same splitting capability. The neck pickup doesn't turn to mush as well. .. I was instantly going to add the Mann bridge, but I really don't want to change anything at the moment. It's sounding so great through all my amps, I'm afraid of changing the formula. I'll be gigging this ASAP

By the way... Sweetwater has some exclusive Satin finishes for the CE models (22 & 24) that are very sweet looking... All the models have the satin finish on the back of the neck, if I'm not mistaken

big mike likes this.
  10. big mike

Compared to a McCarty you have the narrower neck profile, and a second volume with very good pickups (upgrade)

Compared to a cu22 it’s a narrower neck, added volume control and thicker body with very good pickups

It’s essentiallh a dual volume McCarty trem with a similar neck to the early 80s custom / standard 24s

11. big mike

Well Paul is an innovator
    And Henry is unemployed

12. big mike

Yep.

Biggest problem is people are trying to force it into a strat or Paul thing

It’s neither

Nickstrtcstr and gman1951 like this.
  13. steven turner

steven turner Member

PRS make unequivocally great guitars. The core and S2 are great used, because you can be 99% assured you will get something flawless other than what the owner has done to it. I don't understand the hate, they are just a guitar. However, they are so well made I believe they engender a bit of jealousy for the quality, and the unaffordability. Eg, "better than my guitar, and I can't afford one, so I will hate" - But be assured they are fantastic guitars. As Carlos said at NAMM yesterday, they 'stay in tune' so he loves 'em.

BoogieManSC, clmazza and big mike like this.
  14. steven turner

steven turner Member

Henry was an clueless asshat who is now unemployed. You'll be buying your Gibson from JC, a guy who seems hell bent on making Gibsons the same quality as a PRS, starting now,

15. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

Wow, I missed the news, thanks.

16. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    I hate this trope. Paul makes lovely guitars. The figured top models tend to sell better, because that is what they are known for. I've always liked the metallic finished ones, would love a goldtop McCarty soapbar at some point.

17. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

My reluctance to go w/ PRS was based on the way Smith took virtually every design idea from either Gibson or Fender, in some cases just splitting the difference between the two. Even the bird shapes aren't original -- just not used on a fretboard. And the one really individual feature -- the headstock -- remains one of the most abominably bad shapes in the guitar world. But over time, I came to accept that guitar buyers really desperately stick to the familiar forms and shapes, and if PRS was nothing much from a creative standpoint, they really nailed it on generic acceptability, superior materials, superior workmanship, and superior grasp of what makes a guitar really playable. And the PRS's I have owned do not disappoint. Rather, they are mind blowing as far as execution of the build, finish, and playability are concerned. The 25" scale is hair-splitting but excellent, and fretting and dressing are unsurpassed. Finish, and feel, are just great. Personally, I would go with an older build, used, rather than buying one of the budget models, but even the SEs remain high spec in build

18. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

These don't suck ;)

Nickstrtcstr likes this.
  19. tone4days

tone4days Member

I envied them from afar when I was broke.... then, many years later, I got one that was gorgeous, only to find out I could not get along with a 25" scale ... then, a few years later, i got an SC245 and have been in love ... added a DC245 TM soapy and it's just as amazing ... would consider others, including a silver sky to replace my EJ sig strat

20. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Silver Supporting Member

I have a DC3 that I'm going to sell. If @Old Guy you want to possibly buy it, PM me. It's a bit more than a ZM though. :)

Old Guy likes this.