Refret experiences?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by hjc333, Oct 16, 2008.

1. hjc333

hjc333 Member

I'm curious as to refret experiences. Good, bad, indifferent?
    My 98' Amer. Std. Strat, the frets need a good leveling, but I much prefer a larger fret size. Thinking about getting a refret.

My other guitar is an Anderson Drop Top, with heavy frets (.108" x .051"). The frets and setup are much better, and its a lot easier to fret more complex chord inversions.

I prefer the tone of the Fender, but the setup and intonation of the Anderson.

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

well, i've refretted my own gigging guitars, so i guess that puts me on both sides of the equation, but a good refret on a guitar you like will turn it into a guitar you can't put down.

3. hjc333

hjc333 Member

Is a refret "major surgery" on a Fender with a maple neck?

4. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Yup.

I've had all my vintage pieces refretted, and they play better than new!

5. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

May I ask how much it typically costs for a quality re-fret and new nut? I'm looking to have my old '83 Strat done, but have wondered if just buying a new Warmoth neck, (at around $400 by the time all of the options are added in), would end up being a better, but not necessarily cheaper, way to go?

6. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

It's more work removing the old frets on a finished maple board since manufactures spray over the frets. I score the finish on either side of the fret then heat it up, gently lift them out and pray it doesn't chip. YMMV

A refret on a Fender and a new nut should be cheaper than $400. I charge @ $175 for a fender neck - more if it's maple. New bone nut @ $50 installed. If the board is severely worn and requires extensive level and radius work it's also extra. I glue my frets in too so they stay put. Evan a new neck from say Warmoth will require level, crown and polish - they only glue them in and bevel the ends.

7. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Depends on who does it. I've seen refrets as high as $400.

My guy, Steve Duritt, in Burlington, NJ, typically charges about half that, and does GREAT work... right up there with guys like Lentz and Glaser, IMO.

But the "typical" range is probably somewhere in between there...

8. hjc333

hjc333 Member

Any recommendations / experiences with techs in Austin, Texas?