• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Refret in Austin,TX?

SFW

I would like to get my 2005 Les Paul Standard refretted with stainless steel jumbos and a new bone nut. Looking for someone in the Austin, TX area that can do the job right. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Buck Woodson

Silver Supporting Member
Dan Erlewine. Not cheap but why would you want that?

He did a great job on my well used 1976 3 pickup black beauty.

El Rey

Gold Supporting Member
Not local, and I'm sure I will get $h!t thrown at me by some here for bringing him up here, but I send all my re-frets to Phil Jacoby-Philtone, Baltimore, MD.

He's done 10 for me so far. 2 of those were complete re-works that a local butcher cobbled up badly.

Sometimes he takes a while, so if you need it done right away, use someone else.

But....everything I've ever sent him has come back stellar. So stellar, it always made me forget whatever frustration I was experiencing as soon as I picked up the guitar and played it. Every thing I've sent has been for the same thing, Jescar 57110 SS and new bone nut. I think he's maybe the second guy to get the Plek?

Will be sending him my (new to me) Fender CS Hardtail Strat for SS re-fret as soon as I play the new out of it.

The last 4 I sent him, he finished in a couple of weeks time, each one.

I've had some really bad experience with fret work from some others. Won't mention names here as I blame myself for making a bad decision.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
If Ed Reynolds is still in Austin, he would be my #1, #2, #3 and #4 go-to. A real pro's pro. Strong history on his own, w/Collings (as a consultant to their electric guitar program), friends w/Michael Stevens, guitar guru to cats like David Grissom, EJ, Lance K., and others. Ed is a total and comprehensive guitar electronics wizard and a guru on all things guitar-related. I used to bring my '57 LP Junior to Ed's shop back around 1980 when he was on the North Side of Chicago.

Ed is a member here, though rarely posts. Here is an old thread that Ed Participated in:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/info-needed-ed-reynolds-guitar.444516/

It was resurrected in 2016; Ed gives his contact information in Post #19. If he is still in Austin, find him and go to him. No better or more knowledgeable luthier/tech on the planet.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
Pete Skermetta
Yes. He did a SS refret and a nut new bone for me. He's great. Frets are perfect.

If Ed Reynolds is still in Austin, he would be my #1, #2, #3 and #4 go-to. A real pro's pro. Strong history on his own, w/Collings (as a consultant to their electric guitar program), friends w/Michael Stevens, guitar guru to cats like David Grissom, EJ, Lance K., and others. Ed is a total and comprehensive guitar electronics wizard and a guru on all things guitar-related. I used to bring my '57 LP Junior to Ed's shop back around 1980 when he was on the North Side of Chicago.

Ed is a member here, though rarely posts. Here is an old thread that Ed Participated in:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/info-needed-ed-reynolds-guitar.444516/

It was resurrected in 2016; Ed gives his contact information in Post #19. If he is still in Austin, find him and go to him. No better or more knowledgeable luthier/tech on the planet.
Last I asked him, he wouldn't use SS frets. But that was at least 5 years ago.

miamimart

I'd recommend Ed if you're in Austin. He's a nut but he does good work. If you want to dig up Hugh McFarland in Paionia CO, he was Ed's protege and iz probably even better than Ed.

Trending Topics