Refret on 62 RI

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by LilSteve, May 15, 2006.

1. LilSteve

LilSteve Member

Which Frets work best for 7.25 radius? Will resell be affected? Stilll trying to bond (neck profile and sound are good)

Looking to refret my 62 RI and cant decide on either 6100 or 6105. Should I have it planed to 10" while Im at it? Your experiences please...

2. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

I like 6105's on vintage style teles. They're great -- a little more height, but still a vintage feel and tone.

You'll likely spend as much on a refret/replane as you would on a replacement neck made to your specs -- and the money you spend will be forever gone. I'd consider buying a USACG neck -- you can then either put the original one away, or sell it to pay for the replacement.

3. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

If you do, and your neck is a USA-made neck (assuming it's a Strat neck), I'LL TAKE IT!!!!!:D

peace,

jb

4. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

I prefer a flatter fretboard radius and taller frets. I like the 6105 fretwire. Tall but not too wide. Bending is much easier on the taller frets/flatter board combo. Once you get use to it I doubt you'll want to go back to a 7.25" radius. I don't worry about resale. I want a guitar works for me. So I set them up the way I like them.

5. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

I had a NOS Nocaster (7.25" fretboard radius) refretted with 6150 frets, and the results were outstanding. The radius of the fretboard was not changed, nor did I try to have the taller frets shaved into a flatter radius -- I kept old radius. The end result was a guitar with better playability.

6. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Personally I prefer 6100's. Installation, crowning and polishing are probably more critical to achieve proper intonation, but I just LOVE huge honkin' baseball-bat necks and jumbo frets. The '62 Reissue neck isn't that large, so I'd definitely jumbo fret wire...

jb

7. LilSteve

LilSteve Member

Thanks for the info, This neck is a slim C which is real close to the Mark Knofpler neck. I've heard rumors that they are going to release a rosewood EJ strat so I may hold off until that's out and make my decision.

8. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

Rosewood EJ Strat? I've seen him play 60's RW stuff before (strats), but he's so much more associated with maple that I'm a little surprised - is this a Summer NAMM release?

9. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I like the 6105's on my 7.25 radius Telecaster... makes for a great trade-off: the easier bends of the 6105's with the easier chording (for me anyways) of the 7.25 radius