Refret question

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
Yes it requires care and a little luck. Score, heat, easy does it and you should get away without a lot of drop filling.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
some of those '70s fenders with the thick finish that ramps up to each fret might pose a problem, though.

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
Rene Martinez did a 70's thick finish maple board Strat of mine some years back. Somehow he refretted it just beautifully without touching the finish. It came back just exactly like it was except for new frets.
I asked him how he did it & he said he just pulled the old frets and put new ones in like he always does.

Bobby D

i have a brand new 2010 Fender 70s Classic Strat, and it came stock with the little bitty vintage frets :bonk

and it's a poly finished neck :bonk:bonk:bonk

i want to get it refretted with jumbos. and i know it's not gonna be perfect, the finish is probably gonna chip a little, etc.

honestly, i wouldnot mind it if the luthier took most of the finish OFF the fingerboard prior to the refret.

is it gonna be possible to refret this guitar?

or should i just bite the bullet and buy a replacement Warmoth neck with a lite finish and big frets on it already?

DANOCASTER

Silver Supporting Member
absolutely !!

you just need a guy who's skilled at it

if the neck has a nice patina - dont let anybody talk you into refinishing it

blong

Yes, if the tech is good he can remove the frets without too much damage. I've done it several times for clients. I try not to refinish or sand any neck if I don't have to.

Bob

wizard333

Yes but it probably defeats the purpose.

One of the things that should happen during a refret, and is often the real cause of a need to refret, is a board leveling. If you don't do proper board prep by leveling the fretboard before installing new frets, you will be foregoing one of the big fixes a refret is supposed to take care of. Depending on how uneven the board is, and it almost certainly needs some work if the guitar is old enough to have the frets worn out, you may or may not be able to adjust cover up the issues caused by bad board prep by a fret leveling. You'll probably end up with some very low frets if you do it that way, assuming it can even be done.

The big issue I see on almost all guitars is tongue rise, where the end of the fretboard slopes up (it should slope down at a slight curve after the 12th fret) causing buzzing and or fretting out. Just installing new frets will not solve that problem, and if you grind them to try to compensate for it your upper frets will be very low or non-existent.

There are often other issues like humps in various parts of the board as well.

I would recommend just doing it right, getting the board prep done right, and getting it professionally refinished.

Chris Scott

Rene Martinez did a 70's thick finish maple board Strat of mine some years back. Somehow he refretted it just beautifully without touching the finish. It came back just exactly like it was except for new frets.
I asked him how he did it & he said he just pulled the old frets and put new ones in like he always does.

Based on what many of us know about those necks, I'd pay a fair bit just to see him do it:bow

I have had some luck (and in this case the word refers to the relative amount of chipping involved when one removes a well-worn original "vintage" style fret) by driving them out sideways, (they were actually installed this way) but there is always at least a bit of chipping involved when, as walter pointed out, you are dealing with one of "those" necks.

Love to see him do it;)

Chris Scott

i have a brand new 2010 Fender 70s Classic Strat, and it came stock with the little bitty vintage frets :bonk

and it's a poly finished neck :bonk:bonk:bonk

i want to get it refretted with jumbos. and i know it's not gonna be perfect, the finish is probably gonna chip a little, etc.

honestly, i wouldnot mind it if the luthier took most of the finish OFF the fingerboard prior to the refret.

is it gonna be possible to refret this guitar?

or should i just bite the bullet and buy a replacement Warmoth neck with a lite finish and big frets on it already?

It's really no big deal - I'd say get it re-fretted.;)

Often, when you replace the vintage wire w/ jumbo, the wider footprint of the jumbo lays right over the mark left by the orig. fret just fine, provided there isn't any major boo-boo's:crazyguy

edit: as wizard pointed out, this presumes the board is true w/ no "issues", otherwise it's exactly as he describes - basic remedial fretwork 101...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom