Refretting to compound radius

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by gitarrjanne, Feb 22, 2012.

1. gitarrjanne

gitarrjanne Member

i have a fender american std. strat and it's got laquer on the fretboard. if i lower the action really low after i have leveled the new frets, bends will still die out on the upper part of the guitar, so i always have to raise it a little bit

is it possible to make the frets lower under the D and G strings on the 15-16-17- and so on frets to make a compound-ish thingy? this area will be lower than on the rest of the guitar.

2. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

You could do that and it might work,but if you want really low action you should consider a flatter radius. 12 to 16" would work better for low action bending. rather than flatten you fret board, you should consider a replacement neck (warmth, USA etc).

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

I had a setup guy years ago who would take a little more off the middle of the frets up high, so that wouldn't happen.

Worked great, IIRC.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the trouble with flattening the middles of the upper frets to "cheat" a compound profile is that the frets will now be lowest right where you'd need them highest for gripping the string; in the middle of the board at the upper register, right where you're holding out those bends you're trying to get choke-free!

the stock 9.5" radius is not bad, you should be able to get decently low action anyway. it's the vintage 7.25" that's the real obstacle.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012