Refs in the playoffs talking shop

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by FPFL, Jun 7, 2019.

1. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

2. bartmcartman

3. el capitan

el capitan Member

Like I said before, the ex-player commentary says it better than you or I, and in each case, I’m simply agreeing with them.

4. bartmcartman

Thomas out for the series as well. Give me a break with this goon talk. This was clearly initiated with the two handed slash. Bruins set the tone, Blues answered.

Floyd Eye likes this.
  5. el capitan

el capitan Member

If you’ve been paying any attention at all, the Blues couldn’t have made it clearer that Thomas’ absence is unrelated to the Krug hit.

#lowinformationBCDSers

6. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Non partisan view from CA. Clearly should have been a penalty, he sweeps his leg out from under him with his stick. Dive? Don't think so, like to see anyone here not go flying on skates if that happened to you. Might even fall off your couches and damage your keyboards! Even if he exaggerated a little, still clearly tripping. (Clear to us, wasn't to to refs on the ice, which is what it comes down to.)

And just another missed call? Well, considering the Blues scored on the play when Acciari was down, and the game wound up being decided by one goal, that's a bit too easy.

But, and it's a big but (I love typing that!) refs miss calls, in every sport. They don't have the same view as we have with multiple TV cameras. They use replay of course in accordance with how the rules are laid out, but they can't officiate the whole game that way. Just another missed call or not, you have to overcome the bad breaks. If St Louis wins it's first cup, it won't be because of this one.

7. bartmcartman

Been paying attention for 57 years. Past season ticket holder. Blues protect their players and don't make every bump and bruise a national headline. Next man up and go.

Flogger59 and Floyd Eye like this.
  8. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

No kidding! I actually like that NHL refs try to avoid calls when it appears extra theatrics are involved. Play it straight guys, they know better.

QRSS likes this.
  9. el capitan

el capitan Member

Acciari had to be helped off the ice and did not return. That’s why slew-foots are a match penalty. Stay Classy.

10. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

If it's anything like 2012....

Habs fan here, in 2012 I ran into a couple of former co workers for the Bruins win.

They were still bitching about a call that went for Montreal two rounds earlier.

30 minutes later still bitching about a call that went to Montreal two rounds earlier.

"But didn't you just win the Cup?"

Bitching...

Bitching...

11. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

Any team with Marchand deserves whatever bad stuff comes their way

MikeFM, 3waytie4last and Floyd Eye like this.
  12. joethepainter

joethepainter It's Life, but not as we know it

But then, one day, you meet Sally, and she gets one over on ya, too!

Sports!

13. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

And you can, at some point in Game Six, expect the Blues to pay for this non-call on Bozak.

We have to make sure that everyone is happy and that everything is even.

14. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

It's hard to take the "stay classy" part coming from a Bruins fan--considering Marchand. I generally like "chippy" players, but he crosses the line too much. In a way that can injure players.

I agree that it should have been a penalty--though it's pretty obvious that Acciari embellished it. He clearly throws his back into it. I would have called him for diving. Understanding that embellishing really annoys me.

GrungeMan and Floyd Eye like this.
  15. alivegy

alivegy Member

I feel like the nhl has some of the best rules and officiating of the major pro sports. But as a canes fan that wants the blues to win, that was an egregious trip. Even in the playoffs they call this, it was clearly a missed call and ashame it resulted in a game winning goal.

16. Stratofreak

Stratofreak Member

This conversation would be incomplete without mention of the worst no-call in the history of professional sports. Worst ever due to the fact that it happening in the final 2 minutes of a league championship game and it sent the wrong team to the Super Bowl. NFL officials have em all beat, IMO.

17. el capitan

el capitan Member

So then, if you know that Thomas’ absence is unrelated to the Krug hit, why did you make the post blaming it on Krug?

18. el capitan

el capitan Member

Not seeing the logic there. If people mock a player who was slew-footed from behind and injured, had to be helped off the ice and did not return ... that’s classless.
    The Blues have one of the NHL’s all time goons for a coach, and his players have knocked two Bruins out of the series, with another of his players now suspended for trying the same w/Johansson.
    I agree Marchand sometimes takes chippy too far, Bruins fans don’t like it either. But he isn’t involved in any of this. When Marchand or any Bruin cheap shots and injures somebody, and you see me mocking the injured victim, then you’ll have your hypocrisy.

19. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Supporting Member

The view from Ice Lake in The Great White North
    Refs coulda called them both, but can't change nothin cause it's in the past... Today's what's important, Big game tonight!!!

Floyd Eye likes this.
  20. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

I liked Stu Grimson's take on it.
    Yeah he got knocked down, coulda gone either way on the call.

But he gets up to one knee, looks around for a call, is waiting, and the second goal gets scored.

Don't care what you think happened, you gotta get back on your skates and get back in the play.

Yup.

Floyd Eye likes this.