Reg. Gibson LP Studio or Mahogany Help!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by authen, Feb 15, 2008.

1. authen

authen Member

So I don't have enough money to buy more than a Studio. I'm torn between the regular Gibson LP Studio (white) or the mahogany Studio. I'd love some opinions!

2. frankencat

frankencat Lex Luthier Gold Supporting Member

Play a few of them and buy the one that you feel is the best for you. They are both nice guitars.

3. authen

authen Member

I also have a 1977 American Fender Strat. I want the Gibson as a back up and for different tonal capabilities.

4. Birddog

Birddog Member

I just went through this exact dilemma last month. I had my heart set on a VM, but ultimately bought a Studio in Wine Red. Both sounded fantastic. Both looked fantastic. My ultimate decision was based on the unfinished-ness of the VM. I could see shiny spots starting ALREADY on one of the VM's from forearm sweat, and that was just from showroom use. And of the 5 VM's I looked at, 3 were dinged on the face and the back from what I assume was just people playing them a few times. The Studios, on the other hand, have the good nitro finish, hard as a rock. Sound wise, they are equals to my ear. Looks-wise, they each have their good points. Durability-wise, for a gigging guitar, I'm glad I went with the Studio. I posted several questions about refinishing the VM. Then I got thinking, do I really want to start out with having to apply a finish to an 800 dollar guitar? Answer....no. Someday, I'd like to have a VM, but not this time. I've gigged with the Studio several times now (see the photos at the link in my sig) and have also talked myself into trading a few other guitars for a Standard in the near future. Yes, I've been bitten hard! Here's my thread detailing the purchase, with photos of the guitar.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=340332&highlight=paul+goodness

5. XKnight

XKnight Member

Ditto!:dude

6. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

New?

If so, how much is the Studio?

You can get a NEW LP Standard Faded for $1,295.00.

7. neilr11

neilr11 Member

weleetksoutlws - Where can you get a Standard Faded for $1295??

8. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

PM me and I'll give you the dealer info.

9. rdnzl

rdnzl Member

Studios are great guitars.

[​IMG]

I wasn't disappointed.