Regal II Clippage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Crazyquilt, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Over on the Amps & Cabs Emporium, Dave Orban asked about Regal II clips. Well, I'm over my chickensh*ttedness, so....

My first TGP clips:

Regal II loaded with GT 6L6GEs. The guitar is a Hamer Korina Special with Lollar P-90s. Recorded with an Edirol R-09 -- best music investment I've made in a while. Just my friend (a drummer) & I jamming.

Radical Telepathy

Same amp setup, but I was running my Rice Custom T through it. Guess the tuning. ;)

DADGAD Thing

2. Dave

Dave Member

Not the best recording, but I really like the way that amp breaks up. It sounds like it's pretty touch sensitive too. That DADGAD clip got me thinking of Chris Whitley. Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

3. 6789

6789 Member

So how are you liking your Regal II?
    How does it compare to the swart and Juke you used to have? Is it giving you the sound you want?

4. Crazyquilt

Thanks Dave.

As for the recording -- everything is relative. Considering the recorder is about the size of a really obese iPod & I used the built-in condensers -- it's great. As compared to something I'd do 'seriously' (even using my Sonar setup, which means that operator error is still a significant issue) it's blah.

Ted: It's getting much closer to the sound I want than the Juke. It's also much easier for me to dial in, which I like. The Regal's smoother sounding than the Juke, but it can still sound plenty rough & raunchy, especially with 6V6s. The 15" speaker gives it a big, warm sound, although neither of those clips shows off as well as might be liked.

The AST's a harder thing to call -- in part because it's been longer since I played an AST. The Regal definitely has more headroom than the AST. It's also got more bass, although it can get muddy (especially with the Koll.) The reverb & trem are more "funky" sounding than the AST. OTOH, when you increase the trem's intensity too much, you lose gain from the amp as a whole, much like the couple of Ampeg's I've played. That's a bummer, but not a deal breaker. Both amps have a lot of harmonic richness to them, but the emphasis is different; the AST had lots of higher overtones jumping out, while the Regal seems to have more richness in the lower tones.

I'm considering trying a Weber Cali or JBL D130 in the Regal to tighten it up further in the bass & further increase the headroom (that is, if my understanding of those speakers is correct -- big, clear tones with more headroom than the Weber Alnico 15 that's in there.)

5. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I just took delivery yesterday on a Weber NeoMag 15" - I'll be using it in my Regal II to accomplish the same thing you're describing. I'll post my impressions after a suitable break-in period.

Thanks for the clips!

- Thom

6. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Crazy: On the 15s ... I just swapped out the Weber Cali ceramic paperdome in my Sewell Wampus Cat for an Emi Big Ben. Looking for a little extra bass, and keep remembering how good a Legend 151 sounds in a Victorilux. Anyway, this Big Ben is SWEET, right out of the box!!! Loud, big solid bass, smooth, right-there top end. Much as I like that Cali, the Big Ben stays.

7. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Hey, thanks for posting these...! That's exactly what I was looking to hear... an "in context" recording.

Sounds great!

8. Crazyquilt

I realized last night, while I was cleaning out the ole rumpus room & listening to some clips I'd recorded, that the DADGAD song was NOT played on my Koll -- it was played on my Rice Custom T, which is ash/maple with Don Mare 5549s. :jo

I just got my Weber Cali in today (ceramic, looks like a paper dustcap, 8ohm) and I'm going to try it in the amp tonight. If I get a chance, I'll record some before & after clips. Won't be 'in context,' I'm afraid, but it'll be interesting to hear.

9. opus

opus Member

You should post some with your Jazzmaster:AOK

10. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

I like the that. Amp sounds very cool in a mid-breakup kinda way.

11. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

Sounds good! Can I use it on my site?

How do you like the Edirol? I've been thinking about getting one.

12. Crazyquilt

Feel free, Chris. I like the little Edirol a great deal. Easy enough that even I can use it, and perfectly acceptable recording quality.