Regarding bands beinag asked to play for free

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by music321, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Very good, thanks. :aok I agree that if we get asked to play a club we need to do the leg work, we've done this before a couple times it's was really, really good, a couple other times not so much.

2. Fatboy666

Fatboy666 Member

I've played many gigs for free or very little money
    Often with a new band or a new club, we will offer to play a set for free or the whole night for free, or food with the stipulation that if they like what they hear they will book us for full pay next time
    Usually works as it a) speaks to the owners pocketbook, and b) the bands are good and they're usually pulling out their date book after half a dozen songs

I've also played free gigs because they ll likely have a good story from it, like opening for A major act, or playing a friend's wedding on a dock, or a black party with Hells Angels, or a roller derby.

3. Zingeroo

Zingeroo Member

Only time I play for free is for a benefit. I will donate my time for a worthy cause.

Other than that, no. I've never had to play for free to play.

4. StratGuy22

StratGuy22 Senior Member

For our band, we will for a benefit, IF its for someone known or close to the band. There has to be a connection. Something random like relay for life say, then no. We would just pass rather than ask for money. Same with a few others. I've asked if the catering is donated? The hall?

Nope. Then why should everyone get paid except the band. Sorry, I'll pay the $10 to get in and support it that way instead.

5. joel98z

joel98z Member

I have no problem playing for free. But I charge 500.00 to load in PA and all the bands gear, set it up sound check so it sounds good, and after my free show load it out clean up any mess I made and leave no trace behind as if I was ever there..

6. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

That about says it.
    Same can be said for cooks. Many good ones love to do it and will do so for nothing but if you want reliable, consistent service for a professional situation, you better hire a pro.

7. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

We do one free gig a year for a charity. When people ask us to do a gig for free we let them know we do one a year for a certain charity. We will be able to do others for a reduced price.

8. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

We used to do an annual benefit rally at the the Capitol Mall. I remember playing there four years running. They never paid us, but they gave us certificates for free meals at local eateries and at least a couple of times people at the benefit booked us for paying gigs.

The bummer was playing outside in cold winter weather.