Regular Ten Pin vs Candlepin bowling

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Johnny Moondog, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

This came up at dinner last night.

Here in Atlantic Canada, as in Maine (and other New England ?) - we play Candlepin Bowling.
    The pins are more cylinder shaped - small balls (no finger holes), and a some rule variations.

It's seems to be in agreement that it's a regional thing - but nobody seems to know why .

Anyone know why Atlantic Canada and Maine have a thing for Candlepin bowling ?
    I don't think we even have a "large ball" bowling option around here.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  2. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Been to a few Candlepin lanes, one in Boothbay, and one in Danbury Ct. Must be a New England thing, not just Maine.

Considerably harder than regular 10 pin bowling in my opinion.

3. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

There was a neat Candlepin lane in NW Connecticut. My wife and I went there a few times. I second the "New England" idea.

4. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

Is that what we used to call "duck pins"?

No, it's not. I just looked it up. Duckpins are slightly heavier than candlepins.

But I haven't seen either one in a long time. As a kid in Washington DC, I lived near a duckpin place. It was a good way for kids to get started. I remember, though, how the strong guys loved to hurl that little ball down the lane. Some guys could keep it airborne quite a distance.

5. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

It's largely a New England thing. Candlepin lanes are all over Massachusetts and NH, as well as the other NE states. I used to bowl in candlepin leagues for years, but don't have the time anymore. If someone has a candlepin average of 100+, he/she is a decent bowler. Nowadays, I prefer 10-pin bowling. Maybe because it's easier, or maybe because the computer scores the game for you. In candlepin bowling, the deadwood isn't swept off between balls and is used as part of the play. 3 balls per frame, vs 2 per frame in 10-pin.

6. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Southern New England is (was?) a hot bed of candlepin bowling. A few champions come from around here. My hometown of Southbridge had 2 candlepin bowling alleys.

I bowled in leagues when I was young...had a 102 average

7. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

Ha ha - my father in law does that,

8. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Lived in DC when I was a kid, went duckpin bowling some.

Later lived in Boston, never went candlepin bowling, but who can forget this classic show?

Bob Gameah

9. DRS

DRS Member

We call candlepin 5 pin bowling here. I find it easier as the ball is smaller and it's much easier to get a strike. Off centre of the middle pin hard and you get a strike. 10 pin has a heavier ball and you have to get it to curve in for a strike. I find the larger ball twists my back, too.

10. Roark

Roark Member

Sounds like fun.

11. Lava Lamp

Lava Lamp Member

I'm originally from Holyoke, MA. I'm pretty sure the old candlepin alley is still there, upstairs in some old brick building. We moved to CA when I was a kid, but my parents used to bowl candlepins growing up. Definitely a New England thing.

12. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

I don't think you're doing candlepin bowling if you think it's much easier to get a strike. I have bowled 4 and 5 strikes in a row in tenpin many times, but I don't think I have ever rolled 3 strikes in a row in candlepin. I've rolled 2 in a row lots of times, but ended up rolling an 8 or 9 on the third frame.

13. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

14. Hanglow

Hanglow Member

When I lived in Edinburgh one of my locals had a skittle alley, it was a bit different again
    [​IMG]

sadly the pub's been turned into a dreaded gastro pub but the skittle alley is still there

15. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

We grew up with candlepin bowling here in south eastern Massachusetts. We play 10 pin now. It's a much easier game!

16. tone4days

tone4days Member

duckpin bowling is seriously fun - we had kid's b-day parties at a local duckpin lanes and it was always a good time .... we had a couples night out with a group of friends there and it was even more fun with beer involved

17. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

+1

Grew up with duckpins. AFAIK only two states in the country have it; Rhode Island and Pennsylvania. Maybe that's changed? A little tougher than candlepins because you're not allowed to play dead wood. But you get three rolls per frame.

/rick

18. DRS

DRS Member

I must be thinking of something different.

19. Scotty1230

Scotty1230 Member

I grew up on candlepin but hated it when I discovered 10 pin. Half the fun and challenge is trying to get the perfect break on the ball to hit the head pin in the sweet spot. The only fun in candlepin is if you can turn the downed pins into helicopters.

20. shakeshakeshake

shakeshakeshake Member

There used to be a candlepin alley in the rec center of town I grew up in, they had regular balls to make it easier for the kids. Then I went to some bar in Boston that had an alley in it with the real balls...you have to really fling those suckers.