Rehearsal: a crutch, really needed or overrated?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by CDP, May 18, 2019.

Honestly, does the band really need rehearsals to do the gig(s) you're playing?

1. Crutch for those who don't do their homework

29.9%
  2. No way we can do two sets without weeks and weeks of rehearsals

49.4%
  3. You may be on to something there, we've been playing these songs for months, even years

20.7%
  1. Teleplayer

Teleplayer New Mods On The Block Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, like find other musicians that have the same level of skill, seriousness, and commitment as you have.

2. c_mac

c_mac Member

The great cover bands are the ones that don't rehearse from my experience. They are pros who learn the songs and learn them right and don't need to get together to work through the songs. The "good enough" people tend to be the ones who need to jam since they won't learn the songs on their own. Generally those are the bands always putting "their own twist" on the songs which also usually means they aren't capable of learning the songs right.

strike3 likes this.
  3. Teleplayer

Teleplayer New Mods On The Block Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

IMHO, there is a significant difference between a band getting together to jam, and a band getting together to properly rehearse.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  4. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

We have seven people in our band.

Three of us can wing a lot of stuff by ear or memory on the spot and adjust what we play to make things work.

The others (they do most of the singing) really need more rehearsal to work everything out probably because they have much more difficulty hearing what should come next in a song.

-bEn r.

5. c_mac

c_mac Member

If we’re talking about a cover band, I don’t see there being a big difference.

I suppose if it isn’t a great group of players then maybe there is a need to get together to work through the songs.

6. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

We used to rehearse every week. Turned out that most of the band was practicing only then, nobody was improving.

Stopped doing that. Now practice once a month or before some bigger gig. Everyone has tracks they can practice to at home. If they can't do that, then they don't want to be in a band.

7. Trevordog

Trevordog Member

8. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Member

It's a gross generalization, but still - the better the players, the less it's needed.

You rehearse to work out the kinks that are gonna be there, little details between who plays what and where, changes in voicings/tempo etc but everyone needs to know the chords and changes before you ever see each other, period. :rolleyes::cool:

I've also discovered that over-rehearsing often kills energy/spontaneity/the tune.

Zandalf likes this.
  9. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

Generally, I play with union or sessioned guys... If there's a rehearsal, it's at rate.

I don't mind a rehearsal if it's working. Most of the time, it's music is distributed online and the expectation is to show up and play the part.

Trevordog and Chris Scott like this.
  10. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

If you goal is "listen to this recording and play the song like that" - then rehearsals are probably less important.

If you kind of arrange and make songs your own and introduce a lot of new material...

11. guff

guff Member

Chance, luck and happenstance all favor the prepared mind

amstrtatnut likes this.
  12. Dig ?

Dig ? Member

We reahearse once per week. Not because we dont know how to play, but because the more we play together the tighter we get regardless of the material. Also it gives us time to bring original ideas to the table. And we just love to play.

We can anticipate eachother, and so now its rare we ever rehearse a song twice. We know a LOT of tunes.

rednoise, kramm47 and amstrtatnut like this.
  13. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Speaking for myself, there are times when repeating the song past a certain point is unproductive but, its more a factor of my own mental state. If Im tired or losing focus. I suppose this can happen to bands too. However, I dont think that being too tired or unable to focus actually means a band can nail a song. In fact I argue the band should revisit in rehearsal on a different day.

14. Tom Fontaine

Tom Fontaine Member

As a non professional I’ll take any chance to play with other folks I can get, for the most part anyway. I always like band practice. Gives an opportunity to work out new songs, tweak existing ones. Just run through a set, or jam out a bit.

Don’t underestimate how jamming with your band helps tighten it up. I dislike strongly “jam bands” for the most part, but freeforming with your band at practice really seems to help everyone feel when changes are coming and get in to each others Heads and patterns.

All of above refers to a band doing originals.

15. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

I liked band practice when it was the only time I got to play with a full band.

16. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

Two examples:

One band I was in practiced once a week, four hours, every week for four months. We played three large concerts and folded. All that rehearsal was absolutely necessary because we were doing a bunch of music featuring vocal and guitar harmonies that had to be precise.

One band played all requests. Between us we had way over a hundred years of experience. The request would be called, one of us would know the song well enough to call the key, we'd try the guitar hooks once, and off we went. Solos were typically improv but we could play the ones we knew. Never a rehearsal, even once. Of course it was looser.

Bob

17. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I only play in original bands. Weekly rehearsal is crucial. If the old stuff isn’t getting better and new stuff isn’t getting written, then what are we doing?

Dig ? likes this.
  18. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

I’ve done everything from bands that rehearsed three nights a week to bands that rehearsed once before a gig. It just depends on the project and the skill level.

I’d love to play with a band that rehearsed all the time, wrote all the time, and gigged all the time. But that doesn’t fit my work schedule at all.

19. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

I lack the innate talent to skip rehearsals. Practice is what I do to get better at my instrument, rehearsal is where we get better at performance.

I need rehearsal to lock in with the drummer and bassist.

And if there’s any choreography, rehearsal is where those kinks get worked out.

I lack talent, but preparation is free.

kramm47 likes this.
  20. FPFL

FPFL Member

Your last point really strikes a chord with me. There is money in playing out for us unfamous folks, but almost never enough to make it be the deciding factor of anything important. As a purely financial exercise, being a musician has to be one of the dumbest things many do with their time, but it's not why many of us do it.

stratotastic, Laurence and lizardking like this.