Rehearsal studio forged my check

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Sunburst71, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Sunburst71

Sunburst71 Silver Supporting Member

My band has been rehearsing at the same studio for about 3 years. We typically pay cash, but a couple of weeks ago I paid with a check for the first time.

Today, I was going over my bank statements online and saw that the check I gave for $80 was forged to show $180. :eek:
    I have a copy of the invoice and the carbon copy of my original check for $80, as well as the scanned deposited check that says $180. These guys also staple the cash/check to the invoice when we pay.

I called the place today and the guy (who was there when we rehearsed and who took my check) said "call Monday morning and speak with the manager."

Other than this incident, the place has been great and I would not want to stop rehearsing there.

What would you do?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  2. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

Sue. They would sue you in the reverse situation. If you have to keep using them, keep an eye on your stuff.

3. Mayflower

Mayflower Silver Supporting Member

Bail on that place...Make sure you get your gear out before the confrontation.
    That is why I always write my checks to the furthest left of the line so there is no room to add "1" or "one"....3 or 4

4. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

Turn in a fraud report to your bank. I recommend you do so in person and provide copies of all the supporting documents. Once you sign a statement to the effect that a check against your account is forged, they must take action. They are obligated to only pay valid checks, and the liability for honoring a forgery against your account is theirs, not yours. Once they credit you the difference, it's no longer your concern. The bank will decide what, if any, action is appropriate. At a minimum, they will hit the studio's account with a chargeback. At worst, they will file criminal charges. It is, in fact, a criminal act, and one that is classified as a felony in most, if not all, states.

Oh, and if it were me, I'd clear my **** out of that rehearsal room immediately. Once they've shown themselves capable of this kind of thing, it will only get worse.

5. It's Time!

It's Time! Senior Member

I would call the Polis and let them handle it.

[​IMG]

6. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub

Might just be one guy there who decided to juice an extra $100 off the top.

GAD

7. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

Think about what you're suggesting: an employee of the rehearsal studio is forging a check so his employer can have more money in their bank account? I think that's highly unlikely. If that is indeed what happened, then the studio has a criminal employee. They will have the opportunity to clear up everything after the warrant is served.

I still say file a forgery report and get your stuff outta there.

8. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

Don't give them a chance to screw you again.

9. mcp

mcp Member

Did they actually write the words ONE HUNDRED on the line and in front of where you had written the word EIGHTY?

10. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Go there NOW and get your gear.

11. getbent

getbent Member

talk to the manager on monday.

12. Sunburst71

Guys,
    Thanks for all the input. We don't have any gear there - it's all the studio's gear. My drummer knows the manager, he'll call him on Monday.

To be continued...

13. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

File a report with the police. This is a felony. They've also got your bank account routing number and can pull money in the future. Contact your bank and request a new account number.

14. imonabuss

imonabuss Supporting Member

Invoice for $80, and check forged for $180? How about maybe the guy cashing the check who says "Deposit $80 and I'll take $100 cash"? The studio would never know.

15. bostonwal

bostonwal Member

Yup, that's what happened. It's the little employee dude more likely than the big cheese there.

16. xroads

xroads Member

...that's what I wonder as well...

17. Sunburst71

Yup, they added "One" before the original "Eighty".

18. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I was always taught that you had to write "One hundred" in a stituation like that, and that simply writing "One" would not be good enough for the bank. Have the standards at banks changed in the last 20 years? A teller who honored that check would have gotten Hell for it in the 80s. Sloppy work.

19. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Banks don't have time to check every detail and look for forgery. It's more for after the fact. They process millions of checks a day.

20. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

Be thankful they changed it to $180 instead of $800. If you want your $100 back the cheapest and easier way is small claims court. The police won't get your money back. Letting it go is the hard part.