Rehoused Boss Pedal (with pics)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by justin_fraser, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Bman20

Bman20 Supporting Member

Heres a DD5 i had a while back. Looked as good as any pedal on my board, ha. I put it in a 4x3 enclosure bc i didnt know the circuits would fit in the 125B. Turned out good though, and those pedalpartsplus paint jobs are awesome! I used their bigger 5mm LED, and a countersunk chrome bevel much like the Keeley style LED's.

[​IMG]

Grainslayer likes this.
  2. vanguard

vanguard Member

[​IMG]

Mr2D, tapeup, Frankee and 1 other person like this.
  3. justin_fraser

justin_fraser Member

I have built a couple of my own pedals so far, therefore this job was dead easy. The most difficult part was figuring out how to wire up the power jack because the original was board mounted. Basically it was trial and error as to which holes on the board connected to the power jack. Once I had that figured it (which only took a minute or two), everything else went together nicely.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  4. Mothman

Mothman Member

OK, I rarely am actually laughing out loud when I'm "LOL"ing, but this was absolutely hilarious. LOL! I love a great art joke.

Frankee likes this.
  5. Rich_S

Rich_S Member

What, no swirl paint job?

Personally, I like the standard Boss enclosure, and have never had a problem with the footswitches. Old ones occasionally get a little flaky, but there's a procedure published somewhere on the web on how to disassemble the switch and clean it out. I did that on a couple of my 25+ year old Boss pedals and it fixed them right up.

However, your re-house project piqued my interst; I'm investigating the purchased of an OD-1 that's been rehoused.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  6. john l

john l Member

This + I fall over if you look at me wrong so I like a large landing pad if you will. Any way to take some finess out of the equation for me is nice.

7. OilsFan

OilsFan Supporting Member

Wow that board fits dead on. Two questions, 1 . What are the measurements of the actual board? 2. What is securing the board in the new housing? Seems like there might be some vertical play.

8. BLKBRD

BLKBRD Member

looks really nice. great choice on the knobs.

9. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

Ha ha!!! I was kidding about the wanting to "look boutique" part, but fantastic response! Although the laugh it caused got me in trouble with the wife for "surfing for more gear" again...

tapeup likes this.
  10. justin_fraser

justin_fraser Member

The measurements of the board I am not sure of. The measurements of the enclosure are [SIZE=-1]4 5/8" x 2 1/2" x 1 1/2"[/SIZE]. Now, the board from any boss pedal will fit into any 125B enclosure because the BD-2 board barely fit into the regular boss enclosure and the same is true for the new enclosure I got.

As for what is securing the board, nothing really. I actually have to squish the wires down to fit the board in there, so nothing is really loose inside. Included with the boss pedal is a plastic shield that is the same size as the board, so I put that in between the board and the bottom plate of the enclosure. Not sure if I understand what you mean by vertical play. Did that answer your questions?

11. Agitator

Agitator Member

Love it. Someone with mad Photoshop skillz should mock up some rehoused Diamond, Catalinbread, Fulltone, etc., in Boss housings.

Frankee likes this.
  12. OilsFan

OilsFan Supporting Member

Yes. I was just wondering if it was maybe loose up and down but I guess the wires are stiff enough. I'm considering this housing for my Behringer UV300 rehouse. Not sure of the Behringer vs. Boss board sizes though.

13. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

Better yet, I have a Klone circuit that is plenty small enough to fit in a BOSS pedal enclosure. So if I did rehouse my OD-1, then I could use the OD-1 enclosure to make a Boss Klone!! Hmmm...:stir

14. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

I think it's awsome that the Boss stuff will last for decades and far too often, the boutique stuff wears out within a few years.

To each his own, but I personally love the Boss footswitches

MuffFuzz and Frankee like this.
  15. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

Agree.

That said, great job on the rehouse!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  16. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

imo boss enclosures look sweet...love the look and the switches

also think the op's new bd2 enclosure looks sweet as hell, love the size, color, and knobs

i dont care much for true bypass switched...i live with them because my favorite pedals have them

I prefer the switches on way huge or visual sound pedals, and prefer boss switches to most true bypass switches...hate the loud click

17. hbar

hbar Member

I know a guy who has an empty BD-2 enclosure.

JmpOne and Coldacre like this.
  18. MahavishnuGretsch

MahavishnuGretsch Member

TGP would not be sure if they should hate it(because it's a Boss) or love the pedal(because TGPers get wet for klone). I for one would like to see that just for the reactions of people. For that alone it's worth it! :Devil

19. the_rising

the_rising Silver Supporting Member

Rehouse looks great!

I will also join the camp in saying the Boss footprint/enclosure is actually my favorite of any manufacturer. Built like a tank, big switch, and knobs are recessed and out of the way.

20. Ryan84

Ryan84 Member

Back in the 90's Boss was the Boss. And I still love them today.