Rehoused Boss Pedal (with pics)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by justin_fraser, Jan 22, 2013.

1. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Would the jacks have been able to fit on the front of the pedal?

2. IAm MI

IAm MI Supporting Member

Yeah, I have never had any doubt in my mind about the Boss footswitch. I can hit it quickly, without thinking, at a funny angle, on a dead freaking run. :)

Aesthetics are personal. I'm 40, and I grew up looking at Boss pedals and thinking they were cool magical little boxes. I love 'em.

3. justin_fraser

justin_fraser Member

As in the top? As much as I wanted to fit them up there, the pots are mounted to little circuit boards and leave no room for anything else. I moved the jacks as far up as I could on the side, that way the jacks are high enough to go right up against another pedal with jacks placed a bit lower on the sides.

4. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Agreed. I actually wish all pedasl had that switching system. I really don't like the typical footswitch at all.

5. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Member

Cool rehouse!

+1 for Boss aesthetics. I have a few of em always coming on/off the board and just sitting around because I love the way they look.

The footswitch is absolutely one of the best parts of theirs - easy to step on, even on a crowded board...never jams, etc.

Also - having worked on a few of them now - I applaud the engineering/design feat to fit so many circuits in basically one stock enclosure.

6. brand0nized

brand0nized Member

Do you think there's enough height to shove two boss circuits in there?

7. justin_fraser

justin_fraser Member

I don't think so. The enclosure is already jammed with far too much, and the circuit board is right against the bottom of the enclosure. It was the same for the boss enclosure, so I don't think its possible.

8. thecornman

thecornman Member

I am with the like Boss Pedals and switches the way they are crowd! Best pedal design ever.

9. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

How much to re-house my BD-2?!?!

10. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change! Supporting Member

99% of the time when people want a Boss pedal rehoused they have an unspoken expectation that the rehouse also includes true-bypassing the circuit with a mechanical switch. This requires an understanding of the electronic switching system which is in a slightly different place on every pedal. So right there you have something that is significantly more difficult than the average hobbyist can handle. When people then expect you to do the job for cheap ("I could afford XXXXX pedal for the price of this Boss pedal and your rehouse job!!!! I was trying to SAVE money") it becomes hard not necessarily to do the actual job but to make it worth your time and effort.

If all you're doing is shifting the guts over to a new box and replacing a switch with the same type in a sturdier version then its a very easy task. But most people aren't going to go to all that trouble for a purely cosmetic difference.

11. echodeluxe

echodeluxe Member

i, for one, dont understand the desire to remove a boss circuit from the genius enclosure they designed to put it in an aluminum brick, but more power to ya.

tapeup and Frankee like this.
  12. mcnabbanov

mcnabbanov Member

13. Belmont

Belmont Member

awesome, I have a Slow Gear and Spectrum I'm rehousing as we speak.

tapeup likes this.
  14. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

With all the praise of Boss enclosures you'd think you would see people rehousing non-Boss pedals into Boss enclosures!

15. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

I know this was mostly in jest, but unless something is broken, do people spend time rehousing anything? Even if they do, I'd guess the Boss enclosure is proprietary (i.e., it's not just a standard pedal shell that you can buy empty). I wouldn't waste the time or money doing it, but would take Boss style over the "TBP" style any day.

16. macatt

macatt Member

I for one don't like the Boss switches because:
    I like to place my effects as close together as possible (either offsetting them or using pancake connectors).

The Boss switches are the width of the entire enclosure and it's too easy to hit two of them at the same time by accident.
    So at least for me, there is a good reason to change to a simple push button switch.
    But I don't bother to re-house them. I just don't buy Boss pedals.

S Mac

17. LoopyBullet

LoopyBullet Supporting Member

This is a cool thread - gotta revive this one from the dead. Anyone else with rehoused Boss pedals?

I personally like the Boss look, strangely enough, but I like seeing rehousings too.

18. Grainslayer

Grainslayer Member

I was daydreaming about rehousing my mxr carbon copy and univibe into boss boxes..lol...

19. SonicDefiance

SonicDefiance Member

I'm rehousing a few now for fun. What did you have to do for the DC Jack specifically?

20. stilwel

stilwel Member

NOT MINE!

...but I saw this DD-20 rehouse a while back on Reverb and thought it was really cool, especially with the dedicated Memory and Tap Tempo switches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]