rehousing a magicstomp/TB/expression pedal in

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jaywalker, Jul 19, 2008.

1. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

I've just acquired a defunct MS and I'm going to attempt a rehousing project to include true bypass as well as an assignable foot controler.
    Here are some gut shots of the original:
    [​IMG]
    In this shot you can see how simple the switches are. Many think they are rugged metal TB type contact switches, when in fact they are nothing more than bubble contact switches under a faux metal button!
    Here's a shot of the underside to show how the switches look on the business end:
    [​IMG]
    The potentiometers are well spaced enough to allow cables to be attatched to the original circuit without worrying about causing shorts.
    The back end is relatively simple with all the circuit trails leading to the output /input jacks being clearly traceable and no neighbouring magical mystery tour circuit tracks to speak of, i.e; the circuit ends at the end of the circuit board:

[​IMG]
    I think the largest shock for me was finding out that the MS housing is not actually metal, but plastic. I had always thought it was metal due to the weight, but that is the result of the rather sturdy base plate.
    This particular exhibit suffers from a kerput main output stage. The headphone out works fine but the jacks are deader than dead, probably an easy enough problem to fix anyway.
    [​IMG]
    Will keep everyone posted on how it's going.
    john.

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Sounds like a great idea! I wish the Multi Effects makers would make a true bypass multi effect unit in a nice small enclosure. And it should be able to go in front of an amp, as well as in the effects loop, with the four cable method. That way you could have all the modulation and time based effects after the distortion, and the boost and drives up front.

dk

3. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

The guts of the MS are not that big, as you can see - that's my finger there somewhere as well as my super slim sony/ericson mobile for comparison. TBing should be a doddle, but i will end up with 4 switches instead of 3. nevermind.

4. codenoise

codenoise Member

any update on how this turned out?

5. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

On the backburner for the moment due to gig responsibilities, need a good week free to do the entire rehousing!!!!
    Will post once I start making progress though.

6. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Picked up a version 1 for 20 bucks, fixed the main on/off switch and it's fine!

What I want to do is not rehouse this one - but build it into my board.

The biggest issue is extending the display screen:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The result shouldn't be much bigger than a dano mini if i get it right.
    The switches are bog standard contact switches anyway:
    [​IMG]
    The finished result should be about the same size as the main display panel on the entire unit:
    [​IMG]

I want to have the main unit under the tier and maybe a bigger display on top with just the footswitches and knobs.

I'm also toying with the idea of having the footswitches routed to a seperate hammond box, meaning the limitations of having the MS hard wired are removed - I'll just have a 3 switch extention. The switches don't carry a signal anyway, they are mere triggers.
    Any thoughts/suggestions?

7. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    So how's this project coming?

Sounds good- you could also add a true bypass switch to the hammond box too.