Rehousing or Covering your old pedals. (pics/tutorial)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gururyan, Jan 10, 2006.

1. gururyan

gururyan Member

I wanted to have some fun with a pedal so I decided to cover the box with leather. I figured I would document the project for the hell of it.

Supplies:
    Vintage MXR Phase 90
    Gorilla Glue
    Leather sample
    Assorted basic tools

Step 1:
    Gather the supplies.
    [​IMG]

Step 2:
    Remove contents of box, be careful with these older effects!
    [​IMG]

Step 3:
    Apply Gorilla Glue® and spread evenly on clean box, clamp leather down tight.
    [​IMG]

Step 4:
    Repeat process until you have glued and clamped all sides.
    [​IMG]

Step 5:
    Trim corners and cut excess from edges.
    [​IMG]

Step 6:
    Cut hole openings and rehouse the pedal guts.
    [​IMG]

Step 7:
    Put back on pedalboard, admire and rock out.
    [​IMG]

Careful with your tools, you don't want to scratch up the leather too much. Also, if anybody has a secret to getting the seams on the corner edges to look better...please share.

Gorilla Glue®: borrowed from work (normally about $4)
    Leather Sample: free
    Time: 30 min. excluding 4 hours of drying time.
    Did I have fun? Yes
    Would I do it again? Maybe

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Well, you could skive (bevel) the edges of the leather and either overlap them or turn them under...

3. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

yeah the seams are are problem, Ive done that a few times and similar things with wallpaper......
    You could use some kind of sinew binding or something so it would look like a saddle or something sewn together 'western' style

4. Hamilton

Hamilton Active Member

Pretty cool, but I wouldn't really call it a re-house. Re-housing would be putting it into a different box, and usually some electronic work.

Hamilton

5. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

cool work. Some folks may remember I used to do this with Catalinbread pedals but with a vinyl. It quickly became a pain cause of all the clamping, cutting and gluing.

I recommend a silicon adheasive like the GOOP and or G6000 (nomenclature?) products. In regard to corners I've found that once the top is glued firmly into place you can peel the bead of excess glue and use a metal straightedge flush against the enclosure cutting a notch that lines up perfectly. Cutting an angle is a cool touch but really tough to get right.

http://www.thistothat.com is a cool adheasive picker!

6. playon

playon Supporting Member

I'd be interested in hearing about re-housing Boss pedals. Is it practical to re-mount them in a new box and add true bypass to them?

7. gururyan

gururyan Member

Yeah, I actually thought of your old vinyl ones while doing this. I'll try to retouch the corner edges with your suggestion.

8. Don Rusk

once you get the edges the way you want them, you can even sand them a little further, also you can use a Sharpie marker to darken the edges - the eye is drawn to lighter colors first so darkening it will make the edges less noticable.... or even shoe polish in your case ;)

9. gururyan

gururyan Member

thanks DonneR, I'll tighten it up when I have time. It looks better than those pics as I put the camera away and keep working on it.

10. Don Rusk

... flashback dood~~ I rember me and some friends used to do some leather work in the 70s with those Tandy kits and tool marking hammer sets..... It would be fun to do some designs and lettering on them like that :JAM