Reinforcing an SG neck even before a break.

T Dizz

I have one SG. Its an Epi g-400. I love it but notice how easily the neck moves. There are no breaks or anything but I took the neck pickup out to look at the joint and there really isn't much there holding the neck the body when compared to other set neck guitars. I was thinking how easy it would be to put a few short screws below the strap button to sturdy up the neck/body connection. I should mention that I'm a garage luthier with about 10 builds under my belt.
Anyone done this?

Last edited:

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Totally doable.

Not-Good.jpg

Mark Robinson

Gold Supporting Member
Just be careful with it. I consider all Gibson guitars and instruments patterned like them to be very fragile.

My tactics have been successful. If I own it, it's got a secure hard case, never a gig bag. If I'm playing it, it's out of the case. It's also strapped, and it has strap locks. The moment I stop playing it, back in the case it goes. I don't even set them on guitar stands at home.

My Fenders? I'm down to one case for six guitars, the rest live in bags or on stands.

bob-i

All guitar necks have some flex, the deeper the cutaway the more the flex. It's not going to break without some impact, dropping it or similar. Just play it and be careful. If it does break it's repairable or replaceable.

I have one of those as well, very nice guitar. Right now it's my go to slide guitar, but I've used it for fretted playing as well.

T Dizz

All guitar necks have some flex, the deeper the cutaway the more the flex. It's not going to break without some impact, dropping it or similar. Just play it and be careful. If it does break it's repairable or replaceable.

I have one of those as well, very nice guitar. Right now it's my go to slide guitar, but I've used it for fretted playing as well.
Yeah. Maybe I'm not used to this much flex being this is my first SG. Thanks for the post

KGWagner

The neck joints on SGs, Melody Makers and Firebirds have always been weak. Not much you can do about it; it's just not a good joint design for that application. It's more lap joint than anything else, and a skinny one at that. The ony way to make it worse would be to use a butt joint. Good neck joints are usually mortise & tenon or dovetail joints, where there's some mechanical help besides the glue holding it on and tight.

Best you can do is as Mark says - keep it out of harm's way.

Laurent Brondel

Silver Supporting Member
Firebirds are not only a neck through design, but the beam that constitutes the neck & body centre where the wings are attached is laminated.
What's fragile on a Firebird is the headstock because of the angle, its size, the weight of the banjo tuners and a terrible case design until relatively recently.

The neck probably flexes on the OP's guitar not because of a sloppy joint (the guitar would come apart under string tension) but because of poor stock selection for the neck.
When there is runout, longitudinal strength is increasingly compromised as the cut exhibits more end grain on the surface, and the stock becomes flexible.
I've seen it plenty on '70s and '80s Gibsons and Yamahas solid bodies where the truss-rod essentially does all the work and even needs to be helped by clamping the neck in a backbow position before tightening the rod. Those necks are pretty flexible under string tension too.

BillBee

I always thought the big worry was the headstock (like on my snapped SG-I). One doesn't hear too much about set neck SGs having pocket issues unless an oopsie happened like a drop. Best insurance is a good case and a quality stand.

sacakl

Gold Supporting Member
The neck on my SG is a slinky. I don't need to turn on the tremolo on my amp.

AdmiralB

I always thought the big worry was the headstock (like on my snapped SG-I). One doesn't hear too much about set neck SGs having pocket issues unless an oopsie happened like a drop. Best insurance is a good case and a quality stand.

The '61-style neck joint doesn't have a lot of material, and a fair amount of what there is gets routed away for the neck pickup. So I can see how it'd be more delicate than other designs. But I've never had any problem with it. The later designs with the big heel wouldn't be problematic.

I've read that that's the reason the double-cut LP Special (and later SG Special) have the neck pickup moved back from the board.

BillBee

The '61-style neck joint doesn't have a lot of material, and a fair amount of what there is gets routed away for the neck pickup. So I can see how it'd be more delicate than other designs. But I've never had any problem with it. The later designs with the big heel wouldn't be problematic.

I've read that that's the reason the double-cut LP Special (and later SG Special) have the neck pickup moved back from the board.

Ooooo.... I don't suppose stringing those with 11s would be a great idea.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
Ooooo.... I don't suppose stringing those with 11s would be a great idea.
Why not?

It would have come with huge wound-G "jazz" strings in the early '60, and held up fine.

The danger is from sideways pull or blows, not straight-on string tension.

sacakl

Gold Supporting Member
That's how I feel right there

Works fine in a gig situation where I'm the only guitarist, but have to be creative when playing with another. I also string up with 11's but not sure if it matters.

I'm refretting it on my bench next week. :eek:

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom