reinhardt 18 -- Enough Clean Headroom for Small Clubs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DAB, Jul 11, 2008.

1. DAB

DAB Member

I am teetering on the brink of buying a Reinhardt. I have been considering the Titan 4 El84. I haven't heard any sound clips from it but absolutely love the 18 watt clips on the Reinhardt website.

I built a couple of 18 watt TMB clones which I really liked but it seemed that there wasn't enough clean headroom for small club gigs. I like the clean with a little hair on it but the TMBs really dirty up quickly. I am wondering if the Reinhardt might have a little more clean headroom.

Anyone with a Reinhardt 18 got an opinion on whether or not the 18watt would work in a small club cleanish headroom-wise?

Thanks...Dave

2. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

Definitely can do.

3. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

What Mondo said!...especially in SS rectifier/Modern mode. Plus, if you have Bob build it for you, he can tweak it to your exact specs.

Awesome amp, (and an even more awesome builder...not to mention Mrs. Bob's impeccable tolex work)! I had a Titan and eventually sold it in favor of an 18. The Titan is equally amazing, but I wanted the earlier breakup of the 18, and those Greg Martin clips just haunted me until I made the move. Couldn't be happier!

Go for it!

4. DAB

DAB Member

Great replies thanks.

Can you guys describe the clean tone and about where it starts to get into the solo tone?

Thanks...Dave

5. rnm14

rnm14 Member

I have the the 18 with power scaling and I have used it with a 1x12 loaded with either a Weber Silverbell or a GB. I regularly ran out of clean headroom with the 1x12 but it seems to be way louder with a 2x12 loaded with a G12H and a V30. So I'd say it depends on your cab and speaker choice. Mine is set slightly overdriven and I don't like the higher gain settings, but it's a great amp for crunchy tones.

6. Phil M

Phil M Member

rnm14 brings up a great point about speaker choice. Speakers play a huge role in headroom. I have a different Reinhardt amp with power scaling, but like it with the internal speaker as well as Celestian G12H30 Anniversaries. That's just a good speaker with Marshall type amps...

If you'll be using this for live, I'd vote for the Titan with power scaling. You'll just have a lot more options that way and won't likely ever be underpowered. Plus the power scaling will let you get your cranked tone at lower volumes as well.

7. DAB

DAB Member

Does it get similar tones to the 18watt?

8. CAC

CAC Member

I agree with Phil M. I have been using the 18 1x12 combo for the last year and a half as my main amp. IMO it sounds awesome at club levels, but even with single coils with the volume knob backed down it still has a bit of hair on it. the 18 is plenty loud for clubs, but does lack headroom in my experience if you are trying to be heard over drums. Right now I am using a Roland Cube 60 on the jc120 setting for my pristine clean settings and the Reinhardt 18 for everything else. If I had to do it all over again I would most likely go for the Titan with power scaling. That being said I have run the 18 through a Marshall 4x12 with greenbacks and a Dr. Z Z best cab with 2x12's and the headroom has increased quite a bit, so if you go with the head and 2x12 cab you would probably be OK. I love the 18 to death, but if you need the headroom I would look to the Titan.

9. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

It does sound similar, but the headroom issue is the biggest difference. I like a little hair at all times, preferring to clean things up with the guitar volume. If you want a clean with no hair, then the guys are probably right that the Titan or JKC 33, (if you'd prefer EL34's), with power scaling would be a better choice. I got to demo the JKC 33 recently and it has a lot of clean headroom, in my opinion...and it really has that Reinhardt "bark" which we all love so much! If you'd prefer EL84's then the Titan is a great amp....and the cab and speaker choice makes a huge difference, as has been pointed out. Something like a CL80/MC90 or EVM12L is going to get you a lot more headroom than a Greenback, no matter which amp you go with. I have Bob's 1x12 which is a fantastic small club cab, but when I play outdoors I prefer to use my Marshall 1965b 4x10, which has the G1035L's in it....while not an efficient speaker at all, I still get a lot more thump and some headroom too, just because of the design and coupling of the 4 drivers. When I need breakup at even lower volumes, (the drummer isn't a pounder), I use a Scumback H75 LHDC loaded in a Theile ported 1x12 Sonic cab....my favorite speaker with either my Reinhardt or my Satellite Neutron.

Lots to think about, but I hope this helps a bit!

10. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I've owned an 18 and a Titan.
    Both were wonderful sounding amps.
    Had them going through my TR 212 cab.
    Clean headroom is not what these amps are about.
    The 18 was swallowed up by drums and I just could not hear it over them.
    This was almost dimed.
    So,it went back and was replaced by the Titan.
    The Titan had a bit more volume but,still did not have the headroom I needed.The amp was already tweaked by Bob for added headroom.
    It just did not suite my needs unfortunately.
    I ended up with a Germino 55LV and it fit the bill much better for me.
    The 55LV is about 35 watts as is the Titan.
    However,the 55LV was considerably louder through the same cab.
    If I were to get another Reinhardt it would be a 50 watt EL34 with Bob's power scaling for the times I need a bit tamer volume.

11. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

I guess it just depends. I had a Reinhardt 18...which was voiced a little cleaner & it was clean enough(for me). I gig with a Badger 18 from time to time and it's clean enough. The amps are mic'd up though.