Reinhardt JKC33 As a Two Channel Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Phil M, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Phil M

Phil M Member

There are not a lot of threads about this 30 watt amp from Reinhardt. I would gather than most JKC users just dial in one sound and control that from their guitar's volume knob.

The models with power scaling have shared EQ and level controls along with two separate gain knobs and two separate inputs (one per channel). Does anyone run an A/B box into the inputs and just set one channel gainier than the other? You could still control grit with your guitar's volume knob, it just seems like you'd get a little more flexibility for clean sounds.

Thanks.

2. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

YOu can, but it's set up more like a vintage Marshall, so one input side is 'normal' and the other is 'bright'.

What I do with the second channel, is run a delay into it, and bring the volume up slowly like an FX mix.

3. Phil M

Phil M Member

So you're running into both channels at the same time with delay going to just one of them, or how are you splitting the signal?

Thanks.

4. big mike

Yup. Hit the normal input 1 with my lead from the board, out of input 2 on the normal channel..in and out of the delay, and into the bright channel, volume to taste.

Sort of like jumpering the leads, but you're not diming the bright side.

5. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Wow, had never considered this option with my JKC... cool!

6. big mike

Pretty much any 4 hole M style amp.

Can't take the Credit....Bob told me to try it.

7. Phil M

Phil M Member

Gotcha, sounds like what I had in mind wouldn't really work.

8. goneracin

goneracin Member

actually, that should work fine. one may be a bit louder than the other, but there is no reason you cant do that.

9. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Call me old school but I just turn it up bout 1/2 way, use input one and slam it with a Klon or OD for some added kick.

10. Phil M

Phil M Member

I would think that's how most people use it. Still, if there are multiple channels, I figured you could get a little extra flexibility on your clean sounds by dialing one down a little.

Thanks.

11. Phil M

Phil M Member

Has anyone set up their JKC33 with KT66 power tubes?

12. big mike

That's how I run my personal V50, with the new Tung Sol's. (well I guess the consensus is they are not 'real' KT66's) but I really like the low end bump and creamy tone they impart. I love it with EL34's too. It's like a totally different amp IMO. I want to get some good KT's to try sometime, but it's more 'zep' and the 34's are more 'VH' to my ear.

Course guitar, pedals, playing style, speakers, etc. vary.

13. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

My Vintage 50 handles from Zep to VH. My Sentinel is handling from Creme up to AC/DC.

14. big mike

I agree...maybe it was a bad analogy...just trying to come up with a way to explain the sound difference to my ear.

15. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Mike, you should play my sentinel.

16. big mike

Send it over. :D

17. Phil M

Phil M Member

I think the JKC33 is essentially a V50 with different transformers, so we're talking about very similar amps, right? You can get VH levels of gain/drive out of yours?

18. Phil M

Phil M Member

Bump (wondering who else might use KT66s in this amp).

Thanks,

Phil

19. big mike

Correct.

20. Phil M

Phil M Member

I took this amp in a few weeks ago. Honestly, it took some toying with because I wasn't all that familiar with the power scaling feature but Bob Reinhardt gave me some good tips for dialing it in.

I was thinking that this amp would have amazing overdrive at whisper volumes because of the PS, but that is not it's strength. Even with the power scaling rolled back, it sounds killer with the volume pushed. Just got to roll back the gain a bit. I've found a few different ways that I like to dial it in--some include dialing back the power scaling and some have it up full bore.

Also, I do not have an A/B switch to test my initial question, but I don't my plan of using the JKC33 as a two channel amp would work well. The two inputs sound too different. I seem to prefer input 1 (the brighter of the two) and dial in the EQ for that. Input 2 is nice as well, but I increase the treble and presence for that one.

That amp likes a good booster too. Hartman treble booster, Carb, TBIAC and Lovepedal Eternity all sounded good.

I knew my Les Pauls would sound good (R4 Oxblood and R8), but I'm surprised how good my Nash strat sounds through it. This seems like it would be the perfect amp with a Les Paul, but the Nash sounds best.

Overall, a very cool amp that seems to get the right amount of power and drive for classic rock/blues rock. I'm still using my Splawn Quickrod as my main amp because of the kind of project I'm working on right now, but the JKC33 definitely has a place.