Reinhardt MI-6 owners?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RGB, Jan 14, 2008.

1. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Great sounding clip on Bob's site, so I was wondering if actual owners of the MI-6 could post their thoughts on the amp and maybe offer comparisons to his original 18 watter?

2. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

+1 I tried ressurecting an old thread about this amp but no luck getting much info.

3. Kidcactus

Kidcactus Supporting Member

Fast Ricky Love has one. He'll be coming by soon.

4. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I had the one in the video on loan for a while. It's layed out like the 18 but a lot thicker and meatier sounding all around. It also seemed to have more headroom than the 18 if that helps.

5. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I've got some stuff for sale and once it sells I will be buying a MI-6.

Hee Haw, did you use the amp with humbuckers or single-coils?

6. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I used it with both my LP and my strat. I really liked it with both.:)

7. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Yeah, headroom is an issue for me, so that's very helpful.....the Titan is an awesome amp, but has more headroom than I need in smaller rooms. Less headroom is actually my preference so I think the 18 may be more to my liking....but it sure is one tough decision!

8. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I'm using a Vintage 50, so headroom isn't a problem for me.:D I think I liked the MI-6 better than the 18 mainly because it didn't sound like EL84's.

9. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

My problem is that I have to get good tones at fairly low volumes since our stage is pretty quiet....pretty relaxed drummer...and I really like to get my rhythm tones from the amp.....plus I love what Bob does with an EL84. He gets such a big tight low end with his design.....and I have my old '81 Mark IIB for those rare times when I need a ton of headroom....still tough, though!:D

10. dukeh62

dukeh62 Supporting Member

The Greg V MI-6 clip is fantastic.

Question for you MI-6 owners: How loud can you get these while still having some cleanish headroom out of them? I don't need pristine cleans, but clean with a hair of breakup. Will it cut in a trio with a medium/light touch drummer?

Thanks!

11. tfblaster

tfblaster Supporting Member

Yes, should cut through in a trio no problem.

12. deluxeman

deluxeman Member

Code:

The Amp has a master volume and can be had with powerscaling, why is less headroom an issue? Between the 18 and the MI-6 it is simply the difference of el84's and 6V6'S. 6V's are typically fuller and rounder, think fendery. I have an 18 and have played a MI-6 it is true the MI-6 has a fuller bigger bottom but really that is the big difference. If you want chime stick with the 18 if you want more bottom than the MI-6 is your deal. They are both great amps, can't go wrong with either.

If you really want an amp with little headroom look at the Reinhardt Sultan, there are two for sale on the Emporium now, great amp as well.