Reinhardt Speaker Cabinet questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ud Reks, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Ud Reks

Ud Reks Member

I'm looking at two of these Reinhardt cabs here: http://www.reinhardtamps.com/files/Cabs.html

1. One is a mini-slant cab ala mini-Marshall.

"[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]2X12 mini slant cab. Made to look like a small version of the slant cabs we all love. These cabs are 23 wide by 25 tall, as I think it looks better to not have them be square. The speakers are on a slanted internal baffle, both on the same plane as some feel that a normal slant cab, with the 2 different planes of speakers causes a slight out of phase issue between the straight and slanted speakers."[/FONT]

2. The other is an oversized straight cab.

"
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Also available is an oversized 2x12 horizontal cabinet. This cab is 24 tall X 30 wide X 12 deep. Available in either a 2 piece "semi open" back, or a 1 piece closed back, or with both sets of back panels for an additional charge. This oversized cab gives you a bigger 4x12 type tone, but isnt quite as bulky, heavy or expensive as a 4x12."[/FONT]

What are the sonic differences between the two? (Take speakers out of the equation for now, as I'm using g12-65s.) I'm guessing the mini-slant will be tighter with more focus, while the oversized cab will have more bottom.

Should I be considering for anything else?

I'm thinking of pairing one of these up with a Reinhardt Titan amp (36 watts).

2. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

I've never tried a slant, but I own a horizontal 2/12. I have the semi open panel and the closed back panel. This cab sounds HUGE, big bass but not bloated. With my MI-6 I prefer the semi open arrangement.......

3. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

LOL! Just today I was playing my recently hot rodded Vintage 50 (now a storm) through the slanted 2x12 at Reinhardt's place. I really liked it as it seems to spread the music around pretty good. It's basically a vertical 2x12 with a slanted, one piece baffle. You would not have trouble hearing yourself live with this cab.

I actually own the horizontal, semi-open back 2x12 and really love it as it sounds just about as big a my old 74' Marshall 4x12.

4. Ud Reks

Ud Reks Member

Thanks for the responses.

And now the big question, I guess is, if you could only have one, which would it be?

I'm guessing it depends on what I'm looking for...

I know, I know.

5. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

For overall hugness of sound, I'd go for the semi-open 2x12. For more focused bass, I'd choose one of the closed back models.

6. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

Rich,

Off subject, but what differences do you hear going from the V50 to the Storm?

~Joe