Reinhardt Storm 33 - I Want One!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bilbal, Jul 20, 2008.

1. bilbal

bilbal Member

It's probably 'cause I just saw Mark Knopfler, but I am floored by the Reinhardt Storm 33. Does anyone here have one? What a great amplifier. I think I need to go to bed before I spend more cash I shouldn't!!!!!

G' Night

bilbal

2. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Really glad to see that Mark has FINALLY followed my lead......:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Emee

3. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

Hey, I have to ask ... why are all 4 inputs plugged in? I amused to seeing the treble/bass channel jumper, and than the guitar's input ... how is this setup?

I have also been eyeing that amp for awile .... do you use the power scaling? For small/mediu gigs, would the amp give up the goods without blowing people out the door?

Great looking amp too ... thnx ...

4. guitdlxe

guitdlxe Member

I have been using a Storm 33 for about a year now and love the amp. Mine has the power scaling function which comes in handy for smaller venues.

I saw MK in LA and I thought the Storm sounded incredible and Mark's style really shows off the dynamics the amp can produce. I was sitting with a bunch of LA pro players and everyone was blown away with his tone and raved about the amp.

If you decide to order one you won't be dissapointed.

5. CAC

CAC Member

I'm with you man. I am dying for one of those, although I'd probably go with the 50.

6. Figher53

Figher53 Member

Like I did? Storm 50 with PS and FX loop....

[​IMG]

Looks like MK even followed my color scheme... What a rip-off... :BOUNCE:BOUNCE :p

7. CAC

CAC Member

Yep, just like that, except I prefer the plain old black with gold lettering color scheme, although if both you and that copycat MK are using the orange I'm guessing it sounds better! I just have a feeling the 50 is the perfect amp for me. Someday......

8. Rhythmeen

Rhythmeen Member

Just out of curiousity, would there be any advantages/disadvantages, if the amp has the power scaling feature, between the 33w and 50w amp?

I understand the reasoning of getting the goods sooner in the 33w vs 50w w/o PS.......so I'm guessing THAT same sweet spot would be the advantage! BUT....with powerscaling......wouldn't the 50w be 'tuneable' to the 33watters sweet spot?

Just wondering!:)

9. guitdlxe

guitdlxe Member

The 33 gives up the goods sooner and will fill the bill for most situations. I have played 5000 seat venues with the 33 and all the clean headroom I needed. One of the reasons MK went to the Storm over the Komet is that he could conrtol the overall tone better because he could open up the amp and use the dynamics in produced. When he was using the Komet he had to heavily attenuate it to crontrol the amp.

The PS feature comes in handy when playing clubs. Unless you have a thing for clean headroom the 33 is all I have ever needed.

10. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I have the non scaled valve, 50 watt version that was a converted to a storm from a Vintage 50. I used it live last night and today for the very first time. It is indeed a brutal rock and roll amp with a good amount of finess thrown in. In plexi mode it has plenty of fully adjustable gain. In the added gain mode it surpasses any jcm800 I've played. This is also the first Reinhardt amp I've owned with a master volume. Like a true NMV guy, I run the master volume full out and adjust each gain to suit my needs.

It sounds great and cuts though the band like a champ. I keep the volume down with a THD Hotplate and am able to use it at church and in other small venues with ease. Live, I toggled back and forth between the two gain modes all day and used the volume knob on my strat for clean to scream. Other than my personal favorite Sentinel the Storm is easily one of the best Reinhardt amps I've owned to date.:dude

11. Figher53

Figher53 Member

I imagine it'd mainly be a clean headroom thing. I've never played the 33 watter so I can't honestly say. Yes, you can 'tune' the 50 watter to sound like the 33 watter at a given volume level, but like any system it has its limits and the further you have to attenuate the less 'real' it sounds. That being said, I've found that with the power level sitting anywhere above 5 or so I doubt anyone would be to tell the difference in a blind listening test.

I wanted the extra wattage cos I don't run the normal channel that hot and I wanted the extra headroom. It's definitely in break-up territory, but if I play lightly it stays pretty clean. The 2nd channel is set loud and proud, though. :D :D :D

Oh and orange ain't where it's at. It's RED!

12. CAC

CAC Member

Yep, the reason I think I'll go with the 50 is due to the headroom. With power scaling I figure I can basically get the same tone as the 33, but I can have greater headroom if needed. Sorry about mixing up the color I couldn't quite tell. Red rocks!!!:dude

13. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

purple sounds better than orange and red.:hide

14. samtheman

samtheman Member

No, green sounds better ;)

[​IMG]

/sam

15. guitarhero

guitarhero Member

hi guys,
    when i have enough money iwant to buy one.
    i stilll didnt really understood the difference between the usual storm and the storm 33. is the 33 version marks sig model? has it an insert way?
    am i right if ir has just 33 watts, and does it cost extra?

thx, guitarhero

16. manchild

manchild Member

The regular storm is 50w and the storm 33 should be in the 30-33w range. The difference should only be a lower powered output transformer, but i dont think it costs more, at worst costs the same...power scaling is a little extra and well worth it.