• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Reinhardt Storm - Thoughts?

voojo

Howdy all, I've read all the threads I can find on the Reinhardt Storm and Reinhardt amps in general. I've gotten some great info from some of the guys that own or have played Storms.

I opted for the 50 watt version with Power Scaling. It should be here in about 6-8 weeks. I've had several amps with power scaling and as long as it's properly implemented I'm a believer. Of course I didn't by a 50 watt amp looking for a bedroom solution, but wanted the power scaling to make the amp somewhat reasonable.

Wondering if anybody has any thoughts on the Storm? How versatile is it, how do you like the cleans? What cabs & speakers are you playing it through?

Has anybody tried it with Reinhardt's speaker that he sells? Any other thoughts are welcome!

Thanks!

-Seth

voojo

Storm owners & samplers, come forth and spill your knowledge like rain from a thunderhead!

HeeHaw

One of the few amps I've ever regretted trading away, next to my vintage 50. It was my main live amp and I really do miss that screaming live tone very much.

It cleaned up pretty good with my strat's volume knob, but with the LP you can forget it. It worked really well with my strat, nocaster and LP Jr.

I use Reinhardt's lead cone 65 watters with everything. They are a very forgiving speaker, but still cut right through the band.

relix63

Silver Supporting Member
I'd probably still have mine if it had PS. It sounded great cranked but at that point it was a little loud for my situation. This is one I wish I would have kept as Bob and I discussed adding power scaling. There's no doubt I will own another.

imonabuss

Platinum Supporting Member
I have a Reinhardt Ampzilla with power scaling, and it is my all time favorite amp. Bob is a fantasic guy, too.

keith_t4e

I'm getting the used one from Dave's Guitars in WI. I'm paying it off now. I'll let you know. Someone on the forum owned this one. It is white with a blue stripe. The pink ones like Knopfler is using look cool. The Knopfler clips got me. I so hope this thing is like a good old Marshall 2203 master volume amp. I hope it has a mater volume sound. I've heard it both ways. I know it has two gain nobs. Are they interactive? I can't wait. I'm gonna use celestion greenbacks 25 watts.

patchesprescott

Silver Supporting Member
Not to toot my own horn, but i guess i am, as i am selling my 50 watt Storm with power scaling in the emporium.

Love the amp, just need the cash.

voojo

One of the few amps I've ever regretted trading away, next to my vintage 50. It was my main live amp and I really do miss that screaming live tone very much.

It cleaned up pretty good with my strat's volume knob, but with the LP you can forget it. It worked really well with my strat, nocaster and LP Jr.

I use Reinhardt's lead cone 65 watters with everything. They are a very forgiving speaker, but still cut right through the band.
Thanks for your thoughts, when I first decided on a Reinhardt I went back and forth on a number of different models, in fact I had settled on a Vintage 50 with Bass specs. I had talked with another guy on this forum and Bob who said the "cleaner" channel gets pretty close to the cleans of the Vintage 50. Bob said not exact due to the master volume, but the difference isn't major.

I simply wanted the extra gain the Storm provides, we'll see about the cleans. I really like a wide range of Marshall tones, including those big cleans/dirty cleans that Hendrix and Doyle Bramhall II get.

I may in the future consider more Reinhardts as time & money allows, next on the list is probably a Sentinel. But that's down the road.

Also thanks for your thoughts on Reinhardt speakers. Provided I can sell something off in the next eight weeks I may order a Slant 2x12 to go with the amp, instead of using one of my existing cabs.

I have a Reinhardt Ampzilla with power scaling, and it is my all time favorite amp. Bob is a fantasic guy, too.
That Ampzilla looks like a monster, that's another one I considered. I've heard it's an honest amp that exposes sloppy playing, and also features gain and more gain. I don't need any more exposure of my playing! From the dealings I've had with Bob I couldn't agree more. Great guy and patient too.

I'm getting the used one from Dave's Guitars in WI. I'm paying it off now. I'll let you know. Someone on the forum owned this one. It is white with a blue stripe. The pink ones like Knopfler is using look cool. The Knopfler clips got me. I so hope this thing is like a good old Marshall 2203 master volume amp. I hope it has a mater volume sound. I've heard it both ways. I know it has two gain nobs. Are they interactive? I can't wait. I'm gonna use celestion greenbacks 25 watts.
From what I understand the gain one affects gain two, which is the higher gain channel. I too ordered mine from Dave's guitar, I've dealt with them for awhile now and without a doubt my favorite gear shop. It's gonna be a long eight weeks! I never even saw that Reinhardt on their sales page, and I check that out like an addict!

Not to toot my own horn, but i guess i am, as i am selling my 50 watt Storm with power scaling in the emporium.

Love the amp, just need the cash.
Wow patchesprescott, that's actually a really good deal. I read your thread and I'm glad to hear you say it gets those glassy Hendrixy cleans. If I hadn't already ordered one up with some custom specs I would consider yours!

relix63

Silver Supporting Member
The one that was for sale at Daves was mine. I traded it along with 2 Reinhardt 1-12 cabs and 1 Reinhardt 2-12 mini slant cab. The 1-12's had the lead cone speakers which sounded great. The pics don't do that amp justice. It's a killer.

voojo

The one that was for sale at Daves was mine. I traded it along with 2 Reinhardt 1-12 cabs and 1 Reinhardt 2-12 mini slant cab. The 1-12's had the lead cone speakers which sounded great. The pics don't do that amp justice. It's a killer.
Oh, I remember seeing all those Reinhardt cabs, but the amp must have been on hold by then. I almost bought one of the 1x12 cabs, it was a green one. I talked myself out of it by saying "Self, you don't have any heads right now you dummy!" It was a good deal if I remember though.

Glad to hear the positive reviews on his speakers.

relix63

Silver Supporting Member
Oh, I remember seeing all those Reinhardt cabs, but the amp must have been on hold by then. I almost bought one of the 1x12 cabs, it was a green one. I talked myself out of it by saying "Self, you don't have any heads right now you dummy!" It was a good deal if I remember though.

Glad to hear the positive reviews on his speakers.
One of the 1-12's was an open back and the other was a closed back, both green. The speakers are a good match for the amp. The 2-12 had vintage 30's in it and did OK as well. I never should have saved the pictures of the Storm because now I want one again. Not very smart.

yankeebulldog

I just got mine last week. Storm 33 with PS. Does anyone have an suggested settings for this thing? I've gotten some good clean/slightly dirty tones from the first channel but on the boost setting I'm having trouble getting a good high gain tone.

joek86

Silver Supporting Member
I just got mine last week. Storm 33 with PS. Does anyone have an suggested settings for this thing? I've gotten some good clean/slightly dirty tones from the first channel but on the boost setting I'm having trouble getting a good high gain tone.

What type of guitar with what pups?
~Joe

HeeHaw

It's not a super high gain amp like a boogie. I ran my amp with the master volume dimed and added gain to suit on either channel. It sounded thickest that way. The high gain channel was a waste for me as I lived on the 1st channel, and hit it with a clean boost for leads ect.

joek86

Silver Supporting Member
Rich,
I agree, I use channel one most of the tine with an RC bootser for leads or BB preamp. I use the volume(drive) on about 7 and then run gain 1# on 5 or so............ Pres on 6, bass on 3, treble on 6, mid on 6. I have gain #2 on 5. I am playing HB's at these settings. For P90 I lower treble to 4 and raise mid to 7 and vol on 8.

~Joe

Last edited:

voojo

Hey guys, just got my Reinhardt Storm (Thunderhead).

I call it the Thunderhead because I had Bob try out the Bass spec components (obviously only usually used in the plexi style amps, Vintage 50.) He wasn't sure how it would sound but it turned out great!

I'll post a more in depth review when I get some more time with it. I was hesitant to post this clip, but I figure what the hell. Crap playing but you can get a rough idea of what the Storm has to offer. THIS WAS RECORDED WITH A CELL PHONE CAMERA!

Please keep that in mind. Also the cell phone made my playing worse. Even though it's a video, I just set the cell phone on another amp, that's Tolex you see in the video (68 Fender Showman for those that care!)

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd_RZkRtPmY&=fmt18

Guitar was a Reverend Flatroc (Revtron Mini Hums) through an open back Avatar 2x12 with Vintage 30 and a G12H30. The powerscaling was halfway up, and this is in the lower gain setting, but wound up pretty high. Gain 1 was at about 2:00.

Last edited:

voojo

Also note that I had no intention of posting that clip, I was just trying to see what my cell phone camera would sound like. Hence the clams and wanking. (Though that's how I always play, come to think of it!) Considering what it is I think it sounds pretty decent!

I will try to get some better clips as time allows, maybe with some different guitars. I also have a Reinhardt 2x12 Slant cab with Bob's speakers coming. It wasn't done in time to ship with the amp (I ordered it after I ordered the amp.) I will post pictures as well.

Trending Topics