Reissue 65 Twin Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PLEXIBLE, Jun 4, 2006.

1. PLEXIBLE

PLEXIBLE Member

Thinking about buying 2 of these amps and running them in stereo with a arion sch-1 chorus for my clean sound. (ala Eric J) 1k each. What do you guys think? Tried the set-up @ GC -liked it but just could'nt decide.

2. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Good amps. I had one, but heavy and LOUD

3. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I am a fender nut, but not crazy about twins. Try the SRRI, HR Devilles, and Bassmans as well. All have killer clean tones.

4. cheesey

cheesey Member

why so big ? i had one and didnt really like it , i'd go smaller like a dr z maz 18.

5. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I just got back from mixing a festival on the weekend and after watching countless, toneless bands all night I was finally rewarded with a talented Aboriginal band by the name of Wildwater from Australias Northern Territory.
    I must say that I was blown away with his tone.
    He plugged straight into a twin reverb amp and I found myself wanting to plug into one as soon as I got back home, excellent tone.
    It had me drooling.:eek:

6. cocobolo

cocobolo Supporting Member

I don't think that volume is an issue with a twin. I have a 68 that opens up early using 5881's. As long as you planning on getting two twins I would look into getting a non master silverface. They are cheap on ebay and you can use the money you saved for speakers, tubes, repairs, blackfacing.

7. Jose Luis Garci

Jose Luis Garci Member

If you like oversized room cleans (i mean true cleans), this is one of the best options you have.

Very good quality/price amp. :AOK

8. Zhurh

Zhurh Member

Bought a TRRI custom 15 a year and a half back. I like the Eminence 15, but can't turn her up past 3-4 or entire family will run for the woods. We have big cabin with high ceilings but 85 watts is just too much. In the summer, I sometimes take TRRI down local indian village and point her out across the Yukon; just right down there.

A few months back, for 2 hours I played a vibroking, super reverb, vibrolux, custom 15 at Anchorage store. The super sounded the best by far to my ears. Funny thing was none of the fenders really sounded all that good.

So I ordered a 35 cowtipper from ultrasound and I think that will get me that old 60's fender sound. I won't get rid of TRRI, just wouldn't buy it if I had it to do over again.

9. takis

takis Member

i had a reissue twin reverb and i didin t like it..the reason was that the overdrive pedals sounded awful in the twin and when i listened one super reverb reissue,one deluxe reverb reissue and one fender tweed bassman 59 ltd i said that these 3 amps will be my next amps at the next years...:dude

10. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

Better bet is the silver face twin reverb. You can pick those up used for between 600-700. Drop in some new caps and maybe speakers and it will blow away a reissue twin.

11. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

I own one of the Twin RI's. I think it's a great sounding amp: big, clean, warm with a low end solid enough to handle my 7-string.

12. AL30

AL30 Member

There is a '71 Quad Reverb in the For Sale section right now or $350(?). It has been converted to a head w/ a separate cab. Not the prettiest thing but if you're looking for the twin sound you could do a lot worse and pay a lot more.

A Quad Reverb was a Twin in a 4x12" package. Apparently Fender that the Twin wasn't heavy enough. Try finding a '71 Twin for that price.

AL

13. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

I tried a TRRI and couldn't get my OD pedals to sound right. Maybe I just couldn't crank it enough to get power section workin'. I returned it to MF and got a DRRI. The DRRI is plenty loud for the places I play and I have an old Super Reverb if I need it. Seems like two Twins would be overkill unless you're playing beeeeeg places and need it really jazzy clean.

FWIW, I used my DRRI Saturday night at a medium sized club gig (two levels - bar and band downstairs and another bar upstairs) playing classic rock covers with a fairly loud band w/7 pieces (also I was miked at a very low level). I set the DRRI on 4 and used a Fulltone OCD and a wah pedal and it was just right. Cleans were great with my Les Paul (mind you, I don't need it really really clean - with a LP it will be breaking up a bit at 4, based on touch) and stepping on the OCD gave me a grrrrrreat drive sound.

I did have to mod the DRRI a bit to get it to dialed in - removed the hardwired 47 pf bright cap on the 2nd channel volume control (otherwise OD pedals were too gritchy) and put in a Weber speaker and JJ 6V6's and 12AX7's.

Maybe two DRRI's would be enough?

14. lchender

lchender Member

Just my .02, but I would check out the Super Reverb Reissue. I compared it head to head with the TRRI and I like the SRRI much better. There was something about the TRRI that just didn't nail the tone of the originals as well as the Super did. However, if you really want that Twin sound and you're mostly interested in clean tone, I'd look for an old Silverface Twin. It will be cheaper than buying a reissue and it will sound substantially better, in my opinion.

15. randy morser

randy morser Member

Go vintage fender or new Dr. Z for that sound to stay away from blowing a fortune on two Divided By 13 FTR 37s in stereo (both of our dreams come true). Unless you're playing HUGE venues, you won't be able to crank those big-ol' Twins anyway. I've had to play a RI Twin at work every day for the past year and change and I totally hate it now. There is no character to the tone at all. Flat and lifeless are a few good adjectives. Believe someone who uses one for a few hours everyday.

16. myles111

myles111 Member

This is going to be very loud. Jimmy Messina used to do this in his big live outdoor rig.

17. Jose Luis Garci

Jose Luis Garci Member

Depending on what you are looking for this is or this is not your amp. If you are expecting valve crank, this is not the amp, because it is designed to behave in the opposite way: The power valves never break in this amp ...

I like the Tube Zone on this amp, but using it not to put chords, only for soloing with a delay. This is the way I use them and the sound is really good, IMO.