Reissue TS 5881 vs TAD6L6short vs JAN 6L6WGB

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by ChrisGS, Jan 25, 2006.

1. ChrisGS

ChrisGS Member

How do these "similar type" tubes compare to each other ?

Also , will these tubes compliment the sound of a BF Vibrolux Reverb ?

Thanks for any advice ,
    Chris .

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I haven't A/B those, but it's irrelevant anyway. One man's (tonal) trash is another man's treasure.

Vibrolux Reverbs really want 6L6GCs (not WGBs, 5881s, etc) in them, but all of these tubes will certainly work.

3. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I have tried both in my blackface VR. The TAD's seem to break up much too soon for my taste. And that's both the short and long bottled ones. They have no clean headroom as far as I'm concerned. Maybe they work better in a tweed type circut where the plate voltage is in the 360-380 range. As for the tung sol 5881's, they sound great. The clean headroom is there as is the note seperation. The bass is tight and the top end is smooth.They are a very good copy of the original tung sol's. I have a couple of NOS pairs and they did a great job on the reissue.I like them better than my NOS phillips 6L6gwb's.Sorry Mike.

:AOK

4. ChrisGS

ChrisGS Member

Hey fellas ,
    I was actually hoping that there'd be more disscussion on the subject because the Vibrolux in question is not mine .

I have the TAD shorts in a Tweed Bassman type circuit with about 415V on the plates , and in that amp , they sound real good . The tubes in that amp seem to give a smooth compression and "clear distortion"(if that makes any sence) where you can hear the individual notes in the chords ...even with the amp cranked . I had JJ 6L6GC's in the amp before and they didn't sound as sweet , but they had way more bass . I also tried 6V6 tubes in the amp , but they had less pretty highs than the TAD shorts .

I was wondering if people don't particularly recommend the smallbottle type tubes for Blackface amps because, the plate voltage on some can be in the 460V range ...I figured that the Vibrolux schematic has the plate voltage at 410V , so maybe the small style tube would be O.K.

Hey Blue Strat ,
    are you saying that it may be more of a tone compatability thing than a voltage thing ?

I was sort-of thinking of the Vibrolux as being somewhere between a Super Reverb and a Deluxe Reverb , and that the small 6L6 type of tube may be a good idea . Maybe .

Hey Slider ,
    Are you saying that you like the Reissue Tungsol 5881's in your Vibrolux , but just not the other small style 6L6's ?

Thanks ,
    Chris .

5. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Chris,I have a 64 blackface Viborolux and have JJ6L6's in it now but tested the Tung Sol's out in it.The Tung Sol's sound a little like the JJ's but with a more compressed envelope. The mids are present more and the highs are a bit sweeter. They are very tight in the bass and have great note seperation. The Phillips are nice also, but in MHOP, are not as tight and lack the note seperation. It depends what tone your looking for. I like the amp to give me a nice fat and clean tone and I use a TS9 for solos and breakup.I like to hear each note when chording.The Tung Sols biased up at 34 miliamps @ 428 volts. Most of the schematics are low when it comes to plate voltage.