Reissue vs. VOS Les Pauls...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jbird, Feb 7, 2008.

1. jbird

jbird Member

What's the difference between the reissue Les Pauls and the VOS Les Pauls? Sorry if this is a rehashed question, but I tell ya, I've tried and tried to like Les Pauls, but just never bonded? Then last weekend, plugged a series of VOS's into a VHT Deliverance (my amp of choice), and wholly schnikeys! I found the tone! Especially from a '60 Standard Plain Top. Today, I ran across a possible good deal, though with a '57 Goldtop! Did'nt get to play that one through a Deliverance though. So, I'm doing a little research and can't tell much difference between the Reissues or VOS's? Furthermore, I was'nt able to compare the '57 with any of the other model year VOS's, so I'd wonder what differences might lie there? Thanks Les Paul people!

2. stratlad

stratlad Member

I think the VOSs are supposedly a bit more vintage accurate but the main diff seems to be that, instead of looking like mint new guitars their finishes are a bit dulled to look like they are older. There may be more to it than that though.

3. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

Well, the '57 will have a bigger neck than the '60 you've already tried. I don't know what pickups they use in either model, but most guys I've met or talked to on the intar-webs tend to change those out anyway, so...

As far as VOS vs. RI's, the VOS has a slightly different finish, *I think*, more satin than gloss, but I could be wrong.

4. lukeness

lukeness Member

The necks on the 50s versus 60s is really quite drastic. I suspect you never bonded with LPs before because of the neck... If you loved everything about that 60s then don't go for the 50s neck... it's probably the 50s neck that you never bonded with.

5. Heinz W

Heinz W Genuine '66 Relic Gold Supporting Member

All Historic Re-issue LP's come in EITHER a gloss finish OR a VOS finish, they are merely finish options. They are both Historics. Both have the same features, necks, pups, etc. The pup covers are not polished and the finish is duller looking on the VOS', these are the big differences.

"Especially from a '60 Standard Plain Top."

By this do you mean a Gibson USA Standard? If so, the 60's neck on those are different from a Historic '60 Reissue (aka R0). The R0 has a meatier neck with more shoulder. Very nice feel I must say, I love my VOS R0. :D

Generally, the R7 and R8 will have the biggest necks, the R9 a bit smaller, and the R0 smallest of all. Ideally, you need to try a R9 and R0 in addition to the R7 to find the right neck size for you, but unfortunately they have flametops and cost considerably more than the R7-8's. If you like the R0 neck try a Guitar Center plaintop GO for the smaller neck at a more reasonable price.

6. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

I found that VOS guitars show are better build quality, especially on the neck binding but also on the body. While the VOS Les Pauls look like the originals ( I owned an original 58 and a 60 Les Paul Standard), the earlier Historics do not. You can tell the difference from the binding and how accurately it has been applied. But this is only one detail that is easily detectable. In general there are good Historics and bad ones out there as well as good and bad VOS Les Pauls.
    Rene

7. justonwo

justonwo Member

VOS = crappy aged finish and partially corroded hardware.

The other option, which is now an upcharge, is the gloss finish. If you ask me, VOS should be an upcharge for those that want an aged finish.

But they are ALL Historics. "VOS" just describes the finish. Nothing more.

8. mark23

mark23 Member

Do all VOS have the long neck tennon? I alway thought they did but i noticed on the musicanfriend website not all of them stated they had the long neck tenon specifically the plain top 60's vos.

9. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

Yes.