Releasing music as an App

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Turbo Gerbil, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

Gaga just released the following note about her upcoming album release "ARTPOP".

I know Bjork did something similar with her last release. I suspect this will become more and more common not only because we live in a multimedia world with easy access to portable devices, but also as a way of encouraging multiple sales of the same material. It has a lot of interesting potential though, particularly if the extra elements are not just independent add-ons but contribute to the experience of the music itself.

What do you think of the concept of a multimedia release for music?

2. tapehead

tapehead Member

It's being done to encourage sales, period.

I see this concept as the future; not necessarily the app route but some sort of multifaceted, interactive experience with the content so people are more inclined to purchase the legit offering than download it illegally and miss out on the swag.

Of course, we could reduce piracy by simply returning to releasing music on vinyl and tapes and revisiting the tangible media experience while emphasizing fidelity...which I encourage. 100%

3. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Seems to be recent trend for artists to hype the delivery system instead of the music. Foo Fighters recording in a garage (but with full blow studio gear and a pro engineer), Jack White and less compression etc....I suppose, any "new thing" is going to get attention.

4. B Money

B Money Member

I agree, this is the wave of the future for "pop" music artists. Just having an mp3 isn't enough anymore, the kids all have smartphones with HD screens and are accustomed to buying apps all the time. Plus, (AFAIK) there is no way to pirate an app so this should reduce loss due to theft.

I see it as a good/bad thing. While the consumer gets more bang for thier buck, and the artist can hopefully reap more reward for thier work, it also means higher production costs.

It will be interesting to see where this goes.

5. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

I don't think those artists were trying to hype the delivery system. I think they were trying to promote music that sounds like real musicians playing. What's wrong with having studio gear and a pro engineer? The Beatles had em, so did the Stones. Dave Grohl didn't tell everyone that he was purposely recording a bad sounding record. He just didn't want grid edited drums, tuned vocals, and smashed mixes. I'm all for that. I dont think Jack White expected anyone to run out and buy his record because he didnt compress the mixes.

As far as the ap thing goes, I guess we'll see if people are willing to spend time interacting with the music. The people who just listen to music as background noise will still stream or steal it, but I wonder if real fans will care about the extras if they cant do something else while it's going on. Gaga is actually a good artist to try this new delivery with, because she does seem to have a lot fans who care about new content from her.

6. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

Gaga clarified her view of apps and music a bit. The Bolded part I think is a good point as to how apps can provide enhanced experience.

She also made this comment which will likely piss off a few executives.

7. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

The service I use to put my music on itunes, amazon.mp3 as well as other download sites offers an IoS and Android app for my music.

But, it's so EXPENSIVE it's unbelievable! Literally totally out of line.

I guarantee they have a pre-made template that just puts your music into it in a mouseclick and they publish it. But they're trying to obviously recoup development
    costs by charging the artists and arm and a leg.

It might be cool and my fans (such as they are) might dig it but unless I won the lottery tomorrow I couldn't justify a four figure price tag per year to keep having a ios or android app.

Maybe when prices come down. It would be cool.

8. chucke99

chucke99 Member

It sounds like how "albums" developed in the sixties into a musical form, not just a collection of previously released singles. Current technology allows bundling the songs, videos, and other materials together, so why not? Maybe the concept of "theme" will be revived and artists won't just be known for single after single.

Those with more artistry will be able to do more with the "app" medium.

So, good for Gaga.

9. FredW

FredW Member

I think it is a very positive step. There has to be a better way for us to monetize the recorded product. It don't think the current mess of giving your music away and making income on other mediums is sustainable for the business as a whole. There has to be a better incentive for artists to make records, right now it doesn't make sense to make records, everyone is releasing ep's and single tracks. With the app, you can include video, merch sales, digital sales, tickets. It is definitely the future.

10. Thinline_slim

Thinline_slim Supporting Member

As long as I can still listen to the music in shuffle mode with the rest of my tunes. If I have to only run that app to listen to the music, I pass.... And of course I'm not the typical demographic either but I buy music to listen to it when I can, which is usually when I'm doing something else.

9 hours of music a day while I work is better than the 10 minutes of free time I seem to have anymore.

11. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

yeah, I don't think the app would be that intrusive that it would be the required player. That would be annoying if you had to have an app for every artist.

12. userphan

userphan Senior Member

How am I supposed to bring my collection to work? You don't think I should be subjected to Clear Channel Radio do you?

;)

Really though tapes suck and vinyl isn't portable.

13. userphan

userphan Senior Member

There are many, they're just not easy to find but I have seen some. I won't try them out of paranoia though. I assume they'll kill my phone.

14. userphan

userphan Senior Member

And regarding the general thread topic, as long as I can buy the music, on disk digital or however, and still legally copy it for my own use (flac for external archive, vbrMP3 for listening) then I'm happy. It's when we're expected to buy the same thing 20 times that it gets annoying.

15. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I'm a Foo Fighters fan but Dave could have done the same thing in a regular studio with no press about a 'garage' recording. IMO, they did not record in a garage, as the term garage recording implies. My Jack White reference probably isn't very good. He's known to deviate and the average fan has no idea what compression is.

But my point stands on Gaga. I think she needs to be cutting edge and in this case the cutting edge seems to be an app, not the material. I'm not a fan so i'd be surprised if there are any songs I would like anyhow, but you never know. I do like a lot of pop music.

16. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

This is crazy talk. As long as people have access to the means to rip music and distribute it online, you're not going to make a dent in piracy.

17. Devnor

Devnor Member

Some useless game or pics or exclusive BS on that "canvas". Charge $5.99 maybe more you know millions will buy the app. F'n brilliant idea.

18. Modulator

Modulator Member

Apps for album releases = need for tech support staff, multiple platform/OS programming

Makes sense if you're an act that's into the fads of technology, but we shall see who is playing apps released now in a couple decades, maybe much less.

Distribute your album with all that hard work as an app if you want it to be dated, and maybe not even run with the next release of whatever OS's you programmed it for.

As an extra easteregg on a CD or online distribution or marketting schtick, cool...just be prepared to have it not run within the decade.

I love technology and toys, but this seems like an idea that hasn't been thought out to include decades down the road. Pop music goes in apps. Music made to last only does as an extra or sales tool.

19. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

I think many of us are aware that most pop music today is not meant to last. The sales window for most of these songs is 2 months max. Then they get replaced by the next "hit."

I bet Adelle still sells tons without an app