Reliability of Marshall DSL 50/100?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jimmyohio75, Feb 11, 2012.

1. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a used Marshall DSL 50 or 100 (most likely the 50). This will be my first Marshall amp. Does this particular model have any well known reliability issues?
    Anything I should look out for?

2. tylerfreak

tylerfreak Member

I have had one that I didnt go easy on...hey they're only like $5-600 anyways right? I have bumped it, dropped it, knocked it over, and the damn thing still works every time and sounds just as good...all be it with a broken handle and broken off deep switch. Great workhorse amps and very responsive to a set of good tubes, you might be surprised.

3. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Good to know. I will be keeping this at our practice space (big ass warehouse). It will not be treated very kindly. Glad to hear it can take some punishment.

4. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

I like these kind of posts. Just can't kill it!

I had a dsl that sounded great. Bought it new and about 20 days into it the reverb blew out. I was bummed.. took it back and picked up another DSL. I should of had the first one fixed as the second one didn't sound quite as good. ;(

Since the first one sounded great, it was due to blow up.. haha. oh well.. stuff happens to all of them. I still liked the amp.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  5. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

The DSL50 is a good amp. Lots of sounds in that head.
    Let us know how you like it compared to your Orange once you get it!

6. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

I had an early DSL 50 (bought it new) and gigged the hell out of it and it never gave me a minute's problem. That said, I do take care of my gear. I'm careful not to bang my stuff around or put it in a position to get damaged.

7. Rex Nomad

Rex Nomad Member

I am the original owner of a 1997 DSL. I gigged the crap out of that amp for the better part of 10 years and never had a problem.

But...I recently had two of the bias resistors go bad on me and I was blowing fuses. It was a simple fix. $1.50 in parts and an hour on the bench. Now she's good as new - no problems.

Not bad for a 15 year old amp that has been worked very hard. I know some have reported problems but based on my experience - I'd say they're reliable amps.

8. Leo27

Leo27 Member

My 2006 DSL50's power transformer hummed loudly (plate separation). Tech replaced it with a Mercury Magnetics. $300 repair.

9. drewl

drewl Member

Actually the early ones (and TSL's) have a bad pc board which becomes conductive, leading to bias supply failure, and output tube failure.
    Many also came with 220k grid resistors which causes them to sound bad.

If it has the later redesigned pc board it will be okay.

10. dobieboy

dobieboy Member

I love my DSL 100..lots of usable, different Marshall sounds.

11. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

I've had one for years and its still my go to amp. Had one minor cold solder that was easily repaired.

I've had way worse and more expensive repairs with several boutique amps. Love all those amps and they were all used ans shipped when I got them but the JCM2000 has been solid and reliable.