1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

relic guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by wescattle, Aug 24, 2006.

1. wescattle

wescattle Member

I'm on the "semi" market for a relic guitar, prob in 6 months will be getting it. I want it to be really lightly reliced, really light. But anyways, Nash guitars looked really nice but kinda pricey. How much to K line guitars usually go for? I'm looking for a natural tele.

Thanks

2. George H

George H Member

3. wescattle

wescattle Member

cool guitars...thanks

4. chicknpickn2

chicknpickn2 Member

5. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

nash guitars kinda pricey?
    hmm...

6. B Vance

B Vance Member

I agree. Nash guitars seem to be about par for the course when it comes to price for a relic now-a-days.

7. chicknpickn2

chicknpickn2 Member

K-lines seem to be quite a bit under Nash in price, and I think they hold their own as far as quality. Less of a wait, too.

8. wescattle

wescattle Member

i wanna get a natural colored tele with a maple neck
    but i was wondering, does k-line do like really light relic jobs, maybe a little neck and fret wear?

thanks

9. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

10. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

that is very cool. the nash guitars went up in price some months ago when demand really started to go nuts. absolutely every nash i have picked up and played was a really superb guitar and far, far less than anything coming outta the fender custom shop.
    if the K-lines are equal in quality to the nash guitars it shouldn't be long before the word gets out and the demand/supply/lead time equation can start all over again.
    i have to say that bill nash's relic jobs are pretty good lookin', too.

11. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

also, if you gather the parts yourself, and get the body and neck and stuff...theres guys out there that do relic finishes for reasonable $$. heres my mark jenny 60' tele clone:

(althought the pic sucks...)

[​IMG]

12. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

Nice looking Tele Pete. MJ does great work.

13. chicknpickn2

chicknpickn2 Member

I think K-line can do as light or as heavey as you want. The guitars I have seen by him have had light wear on the fret ends and fretboard edge. The back of the neck is worn down to a nice smooth natural feel. I ve seen a few Nash's and about 4 or 5 K-lines. I'm not knocking Nash at all, he certainly builds a great guitar, but considering the price difference, and the availability (for now at least), I think I'm looking to get a couple of K-lines...Just got to figure out what I really want.

14. esoteric pete

thanks john! shes a fatty for sure.....tonewise that is.....weight is just about 7lbs!

15. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

lightly relic'd....for your viewing pleasure.

[​IMG]

16. esoteric pete

^^^mmmmmm...preeeetty!^^^

17. Suspect69

Suspect69 Member

Bill Nash has made 4 Strats for me over the past 4 years. They were all very nice guitars. The first one is incredible..a sunburst/rosewood '64 transition replica.

I have to honestly say with his guitars being in such high demand now, his quality control has dropped off. This is because he now has employees that do the assembly work and they apparently don't share Bill's same attention to detail. There were issues on the last 2 strats I had him build. the Cream '69's jack didn't even work and the pickups were microphonic. Obviously noone ever plugged it up and tested it before it was shipped to me(Unbelievable!). And both of them had misaligned screw holes(tremolo backplate). I sold the cream one and kept the Black '69(it just played and sounded to good to sell!). To his credit Bill offered to make things right with me.

On a side note, I may be in the market to trade the sunburst '64 strat if anyone has a trashed "Keef" tele or trashed Jeff Beck Esquire Fender or Nash relic. Let me know.

Anyway, just thought I'd share!

Dave

18. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

Dave,

I'd be interested in your Nash. Can you forward me some pix?

19. Suspect69

Suspect69 Member

Hey Gavin,

I just read your post ..sorry for the delay..it's been a very busy weekend!

Absolutely, I can send you some pics of the guitar. Bill has built 4 guitars for me. This particular one was the first one built for me around spring/summer of 2003. Honestly, I think he was taking a little more time back then before the big boom in his business occurred.

I will send you some pics and if you need any additional info feel free to ask!

Dave