Relic/Heavy relic...Yay or nay?

joebloggs13

Just curious about TGPers thoughts on this.... Would you buy a relic/heavy relic guitar? To me it seems like a cop out in a sense. The buyer wants a road worn guitar without ever having gone on said road....like getting someone else to do all the work for you. Do they thinks fans/friends will think...wow that guy/gal must play A LOT. I don't get it, and would never buy one.:dunno

Devnor

This is Oteil Burbridge, one of the best bassists in the world by anyone's standards. He's playing a Road Worn P here with the Tedeschi Trucks band. He is playing unbelievably beautiful music, in front of thousands of happy fans, with some of the best musicians in the world:

If you think he is a poser, or you actually give a moment's thought to his finish preference, or question whether his bass' marks tell a real story or not after hearing this, then you've forgotten what music is about. Whatever inspires you to play what you feel inside, whatever thing that puts a smile on your face and more emotion into your playing, be it a reliced finish or whatever, is a good thing. If you're listening to music with your eyes and judging musicians based on what you see rather than what you hear, you're missing out.

Serenity

Usually i'd say it's not my thing, but i've been looking at Les Paul Historics lately and some of those Murphy aged guitars look very nice.

Astronaut FX

Silver Supporting Member
If you're listening to music with your eyes and judging musicians based on what you see rather than what you hear, you're missing out.

I guess I'd counter that with the observation that, if everyone listened to music with their eyes, then the appeal of and demand for relic'd guitars would never have originated in the first place.

MHG

My Mario Martin is the best guitar I've played, and looks absolutely amazing. Gorgeous checking! Some builders take it a bit too far, but I prefer a nicely relic'd guitar in general.......not "heavy Relic" though. And no, it's not in order to impress anyone. I prefer most colors after they've been relic'd a bit, as well as the overall vibe and feel of the guitar.

Last edited:

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
I like the heavy relics, because I like little to no finish on my guitars.

I also find ornate, glossy, highly-figured guitars obnoxious and just out of place on a player like myself. I actually take them out and gig, so the first ding isn’t a heartbreaker. I like beautiful women and rustic guitars.

It’s just personal preference.

PS: I’ve never shown either of my Extreme Antique Shur Guitars to any non-player who didn’t think they were cool.

I wouldn't, just like I wouldn't purchase any other counterfeit merchandise.

Some make the comfort argument...I think it's more about deceit and novelty.

I wouldn't buy a hockey jersey and rip the sleeves, stretch the neck and grind a puck into the fabric.

Last edited:

seantk

Silver Supporting Member
I like some light subtle relic treatment, but I am not a fan of heavy relics . Some of the ones that I have seen are just plain awful looking. I like to create my own relic guitars by actually playing them myself.

joebloggs13

I like some light subtle relic treatment, but I am not a fan of heavy relics . Some of the ones that I have seen are just plain awful looking. I like to create my own relic guitars by actually playing them myself.
:agree
I couldn't have said it better myself.

CRBMoA

53305-8682c2bea8243031997e67fad679e9f3.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom