Relic help!!! Not what you think

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MattAnt, Jan 26, 2015.

1. MattAnt

MattAnt Supporting Member

Hi there

I have a custom classic tele that I absolutely love to bits. You may be thinking "OH GOD NO DON'T LET HIM RELIC IT!!!" but let me explain...

Last year someone else picked up my guitar, played it without my knowledge, and put it back in it's case without doing the latches (always check those latches...). Now because I always do up my guitar case, I just picked it up by the handle, and watched my baby literally fall down a set of stairs. Luckily the damage was not severe, and only some finish chipped off the body.

This happened about 6 months ago and the damage has annoyed me ever since. I don't want to get it refinished because the cost to do the entire body (it is a see through blonde so can't touch up coat it), is far more than any value I have lost on the guitar. What I would like to do, is lightly sand back this area so that the ugly damage looks like natural arm rub. The reason I thought of this is that the damage is literally in the perfect place for that style of relic.

Now I am not super into the relic look, and am all for natural wear and tear, but this does not look natural and just looks ugly and annoys me.

Can anyone out there give some insight on how I would relic this back to a natural light arm rub look? Photos of the current damage attached. Thanks!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Leave it alone and keep playing it.

3. XKnight

XKnight Member

That's about as good of a natural relic job on a Poly finish that you're going to get.

4. PixMix

PixMix Member

Well that's a pretty thick coat of poly and it does look like a result of an accident of some sort. You can sand it a bit so it doesn't look like a "broken" finish but a rather worn spot. It won't sand like nitro (thinner finish), though. In either instance, just don't dunk the hardware in muriatic acid when someone suggests that 'the hardware looks too new for the reliced body', cos that's coming your way soon.

5. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

You can make it look like its been damaged through 'wear' but since its poly it will only look like its 'wear'

Whereas - its now reliced - just do what people used to do before relics became a thing - resent your chipped paint and wish it were what it once was while adding to it with real wear through playing. someday it will actually be your guitar made yours from use.

6. jklotz

jklotz Supporting Member

Question: does it bother you when you play it? You could sand the edges of the "wound" to make it more comfortable. Other than that, id just leave it if it were mine.

7. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Yes ...natural relicing.

8. TresGatos

TresGatos Member

Hide it with a cute bandaid and enjoy the ensuing conversations. :)

Any attempt to transform that is gonna make it bigger and uglier.

9. Grainslayer

Grainslayer Member

Since its authentic damage,I'd leave it if it was mine but you could feather it out to look like its worn through from your arm...at least it's not pre-meditated relic abuse..haha...

10. bismark

bismark Member

Leave it alone. That tear looks as natural as it can gets and more importantly, it's REAL. The first dent on your guitar is always the most unsettling. But with more playing and gigging time, there will be inevitably more dings and knocks on your guitar, and by then you couldn't even be bothered.

11. bob-i

bob-i Member

To me this is the definition if RELIC, a guitar that's used and occasionally abused. Accidents happen, embrace it.

12. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

Print up some of these decals, move the Maico one up a bit and you've got a Terry Kath replica!
    [​IMG]

13. MattAnt

MattAnt Supporting Member

Yea I knew I was going to get lots of "just play it" remarks. Just so you know I am not a 'keep it in the case and worry about every hairline scratch' kind of guy, just this one quite annoys me. It is a bit pointy so maybe I should just lightly sand the edges down so it isn't quite so 'flaky'.

So I wouldn't be able to get that smooth worn relic look being a poly finish? Maybe I should sand down my nitro white falcon... :anon

14. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

I'd say just sand it down so the edges don't bother you. As others have mentioned, relicing poly is more of a PITA than it's worth.

I'd recommend taking it to a reputable guitar repair shop and getting their opinion on it. Maybe they can make the damage look less obvious.

15. shane88

shane88 Member

if the edges are sharp I'd sand it back a bit to smooth it out but that would be it

16. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

How is that bridge working out?

17. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

Anyone tried sandblasting poly? (Not kidding here.)

18. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Member

Use some 0000 steel wool on it and just knock the cracks down a little bit. Should come out ok. Just don't go crazy with the steel wool.

19. scottlr

scottlr Member

I'd only worry about it if the edges are grating on your arm or something. Then I'd just round the sharp edges for comfort.

20. Mr. Mukuzi O

Mr. Mukuzi O Member

fill it with epoxy and sand flat