Relic owners

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bluesjuke, Sep 3, 2008.

1. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Relic Owners-

I was wondering if other Relic owners such as myself have found that since getting your first Fender/ Fender style Relic they are all you want in the Fender type department?

That's where I am at and have no desire for a non reliced Fender at all.
    I can't go back.

2. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I've got to say blues, nothing gets me more GAS'd up then seeing some relics. It's not so much that they're distressed, beat or whatever, but because they have sweet features like the best feeling soft '56 or '57 Vs, or those chunky U shaped necks with 6105s and 9.5" radius and unfinished maple goodness, with matte feeling finishes on the body....

A non relic like a NOS or even a closet classic wouldn't do it for me, mainly because they don't have the- nex that feel like sex.

3. Joisey

Joisey Member

I would buy another relic be it a tele or a strat but I don't have the desire to find either that would rival or be better. I recently got my first Gibson in the way of an SG standard and turns out that I love that one also, sticky neck and all. My first guitar was a Ric 330/6 that I love playing to this day. I think learning (still learning) on the Ric has enabled me to get along on just about anything (that and not having sausages for fingers). If it doesn't feel good it will be a struggle.

4. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I am the same way. Relics only for me.

And after playing some murphy aged Gibsons, that is the way for me to go if I ever get a gibson.

5. bluesjuke

I've got a Danocaster '55 Tele, a '56 Strat, and a Dave's '52 Tele Relic, and I'm in Fender heaven.
    I love that you can get just what you are looking for in them feature wise.

My good collection of Gibsons are getting very dusty.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Only one is a relic but it's not for sale!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

Right now I prefer my Nash, but I'll play anything long as it sounds & plays g00d.

8. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I have bought most of my guitars new, and have never bought a "relic." They now all range in age from 4-25 years old. I play them all heavily so they all have a nice worn in feel, similar to what a relic is. When I look at "new" guitars, I feel no GAS urges as my old ones feel so much better. I even prefer my old PRS to the new ones.

Shawn.

9. bluesjuke

gkoelling-
    "Only one is a relic but it's not for sale!"

So you're keeping your "stuff"?

10. Samba

Samba Member

Funny you should post this- was wondering about other relic players. I've got a few, and if I had my time over, I'd go Closet Classic. I'm not into unfinished necks (they do something a bit strange to my left thumb), and I'm also not a fan of the overly rusted hardware (had a bridge screw snap right off in the body at one point.) I have a real '69 P-Bass that has been gigged most of its life, and whilst the outside of the screws have rusted, the threads are perfectly fine.

The other issue for me is that I find myself dwelling on the certain parts of the relic job that I wish were done better. Too much cheesy arm wear or too many oddly placed dings in an otherwise pristine finish irks me. Sometimes I get awful close to just simply removing the finish.

What I want in an aged guitar is plenty of checking and fading on a super thin finish. I want attention to detail! Hold the missing chunks, generic arm wear and rust. Most guys talk of becoming relic converts... I guess I'm becoming relic-agnostic.

11. bluesjuke

Mine are tastefully done and very even handed in the relicing process.
    There are those that I don't care for personally mostly those that appear to have been done in an hour or two.

Even on my '56 Strat that is a heavy Relic it's not really heavy.
    The finish off the back of the neck is the most drastic part but it is done well so it appears, and feels, like it was worn off.

You can even see where the finish starts at the nut and body end that it appears to have been worn by natural means.
    For example when I play a first position E chord the edge where it's worn matches the shape and curvature of my hand and thunb,

I've seen some that are almost a straight line in the upper and lower portions of the back of neck.
    That's my heaviest one.

12. Peppy

Peppy Member

Agree on the points in both paragraphs. I have some beautifully finished Andersons and yet I take my heavily-reliced Rory Gallagher Strat to all of my gigs. Carry it in one hand sans case, the combo amp/cables/pedal in the other and it's "no muss, no fuss".

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  13. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I prefer relic'd Fenders. I relic'd my own '95 MIJ 60s reissue Strat over time by adding ding, buckle rash, sanding awear spot on the body, etc. I plan to get that video, "How To Relic Your Guitar," and try it out on a Squier 51, as well as a MIM Strat I have coming next week.

Relic Fenders feel better to me; broken in and comfortable. I've know this since the late seventies. I used to have a Tele and tried relicing it way back then, even though I had no idea what I was doing.

14. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I do remember some people in the 70's sanding down those awful sticky strat necks. To me, Fender could leave the back of the necks could be left raw right at the headstock in a straight line, no one sees the back anyhow. And I don't find any romance in looking at it and saying oh just like a 60's or whatever. I like these guitars because like Harry, the freedom to beat the piss out of 'em, with no worry, and they feel and sound like the best guitars. Nothing to do with emulating vintage pieces for me, though I love that sound.

Seems, a lot of the non relic guys see it as a clone of an old guitar, and that's how the idea is supposed to go, but for me, it is what it is, a beat up tool, that this tool can beat the snot out of it and abuse further, and it can take it. So hell, the arm wear could be an exact straight line too from a sander, and it wouldn't matter if the guitar sounds good, because the whole point on that for me, is there's less finish for my arm to stick too. I don't care that it wouldn't wear like that, again I'm not trying to pass it off as some vintage piece. I just wanna play it and it has to feel good.

15. Peppy

Peppy Member

Same here. I have a Rory Gallagher Strat and looking for a reliced...heavily...Tele.

16. bluesjuke

Still love my Gibsons and always will but the truth be told whenever I play with others I always end up playing a Fender.

Might have something to do with blending better with those that I play with.

17. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

The stuff stays!

18. steevo124

steevo124 Member

19. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Hey, I tried but these guys are a bunch of stiffs.:p

20. bluesjuke

Soon to become the most published.
    Here it is again, The Danocaster;