Relic Strat

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by pwilson, Jun 5, 2006.

1. pwilson

pwilson Supporting Member

2. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Hi Pete, not bad, I like the fact it is nice and controlled, minor wear.
    I think the relicing though looks too clean? maybe use some sand paper to scuff it a bit more so the edges don't look so smooth?

3. scottlr

scottlr Member

It looks sort of artistically done rather than natural wear. Nice flowing lines. It looks cool, but not like real wear. Beat it with a chain ;) It would be hard for a guitar to have that much wear and not have a lot of dings, too LOL

Seriously, I admire you for having the guts to do this. I think a strat is a cool looking guitars all worn and beat, but I can't bring myself to do it to mine. So instead, I just don't worry about them getting dings and such, and hopefully they'll relic them selves.

4. ronin32

ronin32 Member

Wow, I dont know if I could do that to my guitar! Did you do anything to the top or back like dings or anything, because from the picture it dosnt look like it.

5. alderbody

alderbody Member

Did anyone notice how many undercoats there are under the yellow?

As far as i can see from the pics, i think it must have started life as a 3-tone sunburst, then something like a seafoam green or similar and then the yellow...

...which means, at least 5 coats of different paint, plus the sealers, stains and possible clears...

...i would "relic" it a bit harder (...100%) and then refin with one thin coat of yellow... :D

nice job btw.

And i would agree with the above posters that it looks more artistic than a convincing relic.

6. pwilson

pwilson Supporting Member

Sorry for the very slow replies

From the top it goes Yellow, Metail Blue, Red, clear, wood. I don't think it started as a sunburst from the little I've exposed, but I will be happy to let you know when I next take paint off of it.

I couldn't bring myself to do all the nicks, etc. When I next go at it I will...