Relisting JTM45 Replica -- Genelex KT66 smoked glass. SOLD

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs Emporium Archive' started by reswot, Mar 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reswot

reswot Supporting Member

BACK ON THE MARKET!

I had listed this before and had agreed to terms with a buyer, but he was unable to follow through (things happen, no hard feelings), so I'm re-listing my JTM45 clone at a discounted price. I started with the basic components of a MetroAmp kit, but made several significant upgrades -- and a couple of mods -- when putting it together. It's definitely not your average "kit" build.

The board is the standard board that Metro used to sell and you can now get from Valvestorm. I used NOS mustard and Lemco caps, along with the Allen Bradley carbon comps and carbon film caps that George sold. I used BC electrolytics on the board and F&T cans. The pots, are Alphas. Transformers are from various sources. The OT is the Metro-spec Drake # 784-103 clone made by Heyboer. The PT is from Chris Merren and is a Drake # 1202-55 clone; I used the Merren PT to get the proper voltage -- plus I like the look of the solder lugs on the PT. Note that a mounting plate was used for the PT. The choke is an Axis ToneClone from Mercury Magnetics. The jacks are UK Cliff jacks.

When assembling the amp, I included the 1K, 2 watt flying resistor off the board. This tightens the amp up just a bit and was part of the original specs. Using this and getting the voltage up to where it should be really makes a difference in the amp.

Tubes consist of a pair of Mullard I61 ECC83s in the V1 and V2 positions, along with a third Mullard I61 in the PI position; a pair of matched, gray-glass Genelex KT66 output tubes, and a Mullard GZ34 rectifier. That's premium old glass, there, with the Holy Grail of KT66 glass. They have some hours on them since I installed them (I'd guess less than 40, tops), but they're all still good.

Non-vintage mods include a Lar-Mar PPIMV, for which I drilled an extra hole; I wanted to still be able to use two cabs. I really never use the PPIMV, but it keeps a pretty consistent tone down to about 5 on the dial. I made a label so I'd have reference numbers for where it was set, but, again, I never use it. The cool thing about this MV is that when it's up full, it's essentially out of the circuit. The other non-vintage mod is a disconnected switch on the back. For a while, I had it set up to switch between the stock shared cathode for V1 and a split cathode using an additional .68 mustard and 2.7k resistor (more of a lead circuit). I decided I liked it better in its stock format (I have a 50-watt lead head, anyway) and removed the extra components. I left the switch so that I wouldn't have a hole in the back. If you want to remove the switch, you can get a new rear panel fairly inexpensively from Valvestorm.

The cab is from Mojo and was special-ordered with a flat lip on the front and small gray feet; it has a gold Marshall logo installed. The rear panel came from Metro, but I got the front panel elsewhere (either someone on the Metro board or from Nik at Ceriatone; I can't remember), so that it would say "JTM45." I want to clearly note that there are some impressions in the tolex on the top of this cabinet from having the JTM50 sit on it for the past year (see pic). I was really bummed to see that, but it's pretty minor. There are also a couple of bumps and bruises -- not tears -- on the top of the cab.

I'm selling this because I've just reached a point where I don't need all of the stuff I have (do any of us really need it?) and can no longer justify keeping all of it since I don't play as much as I used to. I'm not in a bind, or anything, so I'm looking to get value for what I sell, which is quality stuff. I'll be listing other heads, cabs, and guitars over time.

Because of the parts -- especially the tubes -- this amp is gonna cost a bit more than the average home-brew. These gray-glass KT66s go for about $350 a set, now. I realize that I don't have a fancy brown board in this amp and that there are a couple of extra holes in the chassis, though, so I want to be fair. I figure my tubes should drive the price of this amp $100 higher than the last one, but the holes in chassis and the impressions on the cabinet probably drive it down a couple of hundred.

I'm looking to clear $1200 after shipping and fees. I'll take regular PayPal, but you'll have to cover the fees. We can discuss other payment options that would allow you to avoid fees. I can ship this in the original box that the head cab came in, with the original packing. I'll protect the tubes with bubble wrap.

For some reason, I no longer get notifications of PMs on this board, so it's best to email me...

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  2. reswot

reswot Supporting Member

Back on the market!

3. coldengray

coldengray Supporting Member

4. reswot

reswot Supporting Member

Still available...

5. 71strat

71strat Member

Only $1200 !!!

If I didnt already have 1 I would jump on that and I f it was 3 months down the road I would buy it.

6. reswot

reswot Supporting Member

7. coldengray

coldengray Supporting Member

This price is incredible considering the glass included, Merren transformers and NOS parts. This is a dream build. Some one jump on this!

8. reswot

reswot Supporting Member

9. reswot

reswot Supporting Member

10. reswot

reswot Supporting Member

11. reswot

reswot Supporting Member

12. reswot

reswot Supporting Member

SOLD!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015