Relpace Tele neck pickup

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mojojojo, Jun 17, 2006.

1. mojojojo

mojojojo Member

Greetings,

I own a Fender Made in Japan Telecaster for the Japanese market. The neck pickup needs relacement. It sounds weak compared to the bridge pickup. I am looking for a Tele neck pickup with more oomph in tone and volume.

Thanks,

Eddie

2. mojojojo

mojojojo Member

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Easily converted to a Strat pup, too. Between the two styles there are oodles of choices. Total option overload.

4. mojojojo

mojojojo Member

Tone-Terrific

Thanks for the reply. I'd prefer a chrome Tele neck replacement pickup.
    I have enough Strats to play around with - Fender, Tom Anderson, Suhr.

5. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

WCR pickups, he'll make you a tele neck p/u that will make you erect. Ain't cheap but the tone is a mofo.

6. Notwerk

Notwerk Member

I have a Manlius classic in the neck position of my MIM tele. Keeps the tele tone, but with a lot more clarity and a bit hotter output. Excellent little pickup for a good price.

http://www.manliusguitar.com/singlecoil.html

7. bagpipe

bagpipe Member

If you are looking for something a little cheaper, but still with great tone, the Texas Special neck pickup is nice. I'm not so keen on the Texas Special bridge and I've now replaced it, but the neck pickup is pretty sweet.

8. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

First of all you are sure it isn't supposed to be like this? oft neck is weaker then bridge. You could raise the pick up or lower the bridge and up your volume.
    Beyond that .. Lollar pick ups are awesome.

9. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

10. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

I haven't tried one personally, but I know lots of tele guys that rave about the DiMarzio TWang King neck pickup.

A

11. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

My picks for inexpensive, yet toneful tele neck pups...

DiMarzio Twang King, Duncan "Hot" Rhythm, Fender Texas Special all will give you a nice punch and respond nice to tone knob tweaks. And they are all around $50-60 new.

12. Greg

Greg Member

The Voodoo (Peter Florance) neck pickup is very full-sounding, with lots of clarity. Not muddy, although it is higher-output than many.

Greg

13. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i have a lollar vintage in my tele and it sounds fabulous! very clear and warm as hell!

14. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Lots of great suggestions. As you can tell, there are a lot of excellent choices out there. The twang king is a great pickup for not much money. You will never go wrong with Lollar. Also, check out Don Mare. He's winding some killer tele pups.

Mick Manlius, David Plummer, Wolfe McCleaod, Lindy Fralin, Dave Stephens, Tom Short, Duncan Antiquity...whew! Thats just a few!

I would say though, low dollars, Twang King...more dollars, Lollar or MAre........

15. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

I emphatically agree with this :AOK

16. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Lollar is my favorite. Suhr makes a helluva great neck pickup too...

17. EL 34 X2

EL 34 X2 Member

I went with a Duncan 5/2 in the neck slot of my Broadcaster repro. It works very well with the Duncan Broadcaster bridge pu. I also have the Fender 4-way switch installed, which gives you both pus in series, as well. I really like the 5/2 on its own a lot...

18. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

After trying many other choices, 3 or so years ago, I placed a Harmonic Design Vintage Plus in the neck slot of my '52 RI and have never looked back. It's everything a Tele neck PUP should be and gives your guitar a crisp, Esquire-ish look. The only other option I'd consider is routing the axe for a mini-hum.

P.S. If you're attached to the chrome cover, you could also consider HD's new Chromotone (I can't personally recommend that one because I've never heard it).

http://harmonicdesign.net/allpages/teles.html

Vintage Plus

Our Vintage Plus neck pickups are designed to match the Vintage Plus bridge pickups. These pickups are based on a mini P-90 design to eliminate the weak point in the Tele sound, the neck and middle positions, by producing a bigger, harmonically responsive tone that has way more output, deeper bass and clearer treble than any of them sissy next-to-useless stock pickups. They come wrapped in hand formed plastic covers that look as cool as they sound, in black, white, tortoise or pearl to match your bridge pickup, or to match your pickguard for that super clean 'Esquire' look.

[​IMG]