1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

REM Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Solomon, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Solomon

Solomon Member

Rarely see these guys mentioned but they had a bigger impact on me as a metal head/rocker in the 1980's than U2. They actually opened me up to a whole bunch of music that was completely off my radar. Huge influence on me in the mid 80's. Their album from last year was very good as well.

2. Peeb

Peeb Member

They are icons. Love 'em.

3. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

+1. A truly great and sometimes unappreciated band for sure. One of the all time great bands.

4. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

+1 One of my faves...

5. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Member

I went to college in Athens in the 80s. Missed their heyday but managed to see a "surprise" show in a small club right before Document was released.

Big fan of the IRS years...they pretty much lost me at Green. When rappers start making guest appearances, the scene is dead. And really, once the scene is established as a scene, it's no longer a scene. Just something to be exploited. You can feel Stipe sort of cringing on that '83 Letterman show. I'm sure many will disagree but I thought music in Athens went way downhill after about 1987 or so. The cool thing was all kinds of bands came to Athens after word got out it was a "music hotbed". I saw bands like Nirvana, Soundgarden, Chili Peppers, Living Colour, Jane's Addiction, Eric Johnson (Tones tour) all in small clubs before they blew up.

I do like a few things here and there from the post IRS years, but albums like Murmur, Reckoning and Fables are classics to me. Murmur is a top 10/maybe top 5 all timer for me.

6. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

Fantastic band. More artistic integrity in that group of guys than the entire decade of the 80s in rock music.

The guitar parts were sometimes formulaic (seriously, how many arpeggios are we gonna play guys?), but in large they served the music well. They're very well written songs that are also very well performed. A total breathe of fresh air.

7. jmecale72

jmecale72 Member

When I was in high school, they were the ultimate band. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to them for the way I play acoustic.

8. tommyg

tommyg Member

Not a big fan of REM...but "Automatic For The People" is a REAL JEM!!!
    :dude

9. Scott57

Scott57 Member

That's interesting to me because I absolutely loved REM up to that album. After that, I dunno. I just stopped listening.

10. nnick

nnick Member

11. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I love that album as well. The last two songs are among my all time REM favorites. It also marks my cutoff point where I lost interest for some reason.

12. Phil M

Phil M Member

I was a big fan of their '80s material, right up through Document. Less so after that, but still some nice material.

Fables of the Reconstruction is still very important to me.

13. Phil M

Phil M Member

... I do really like Texarkana from "Out of Time" and Monty Got a Raw Deal from "Automatic For the People" ...

14. LuckyBystander

LuckyBystander Member

REM was the band that started it all for me, and by extension, Peter Buck and his jetglo Rickenbacker was what made me want to pick up the guitar in the first place. My approach to guitar--more of a rhythm instrument that defined the texture of a song--came from him.

I agree with those here who loved the IRS albums more than the Warner Bros. stuff. Reckoning is absolutely killer. And even to this day, Lifes Rich Pageant is one of my favorite albums ever. "Begin the Begin," "These Days," "Fall on Me," "Cuyahoga"--these were the first four songs of that album, in that order. Every song on that album, even the throwaway cover "Superman," was killer.

And while Peter Buck didn't do much solo'ing, the few times he did were perfect for the song. Check out the mournful short solo in "Flowers of Guatemala," for example.

Green was the beginning of the end for REM, though they have had a number of standout songs since then.

15. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I also prefer the IRS material, although I wonder if part of that isn't that it was music that resonated during my formative years. "Flowers of Guatemala" and Life's Rich Pageant generally are also especially important to me.

16. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Member

I loved R.E.M. also,that is until i went to see them live.

17. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Supporting Member

Yep.

Lifes Rich Pageant was the last album that I really loved, after that ...meh.

Oh those glory years though.

18. kentatonic

kentatonic Supporting Member

That's odd. I wasn't the biggest fan at all until I saw them on the Green tour back in the late 80s. Total convert at that concert. Saw them perform here in New Orleans for the Voodoo Music Experience in October. Fantastic show as well. I'd consider them to be one of my top 5 currently recording/touring bands.

19. Kingbeegtrs

Kingbeegtrs Senior Member

Funny that this thread popped up...

STAND was playing at the Gym this morning and I was thinking about what a great and diverse band they are. Now all we have is crap that all sounds the same.