Remagnetizing pups

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by JL75, Oct 13, 2014.

1. JL75

JL75 Member

I thought Id been taking great care of some old 57 classics, sealed in sandwich bags, and placed in a container in a closet. Turns out, Im told if pups are near each other it destroys the magnets? If this is true how do I get the pups back to where they need to be?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

you're likely just fine; were the pickups "stuck" to each other? even then, i doubt that would have hurt anything.

take a metal screwdriver or ruler and lay it on the face of the pickup; do you feel some pull when you lift it off? if so, the magnets are fine.

3. Sol

Sol Member

Good advice above. If the pickups have been static then even if they are attached to one another it shouldnt adversely affect them, its when the pickups magnetic field is disturbed, such as when playing and especially when you rest your guitar up against your valve amp.
    Those transformers throw out quite a field, this will certainly take the harsh edge you get with some new Strat and Tele type pickups if done over a long enough period, and may explain the warmth of certain vintage guitars, you never know.

Humbuckers are a little more resilient to de magnetization due to the magnets position and the partial shielding effect of the cover, if fitted.

Which is just a long winded way of saying that your pickups should be fine

4. JL75

JL75 Member

Ok, thanks for that , but now..

I have an SG and a tele leaning up against a 65 twin reissue with a hot rod deluxe sitting on top of it. Should I not?

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

no, because leaning gibsons up against amps is the first step on a short road to a busted headstock :eeks

(not gonna hurt the pickups, though; you'd have to have the guitar jammed up against the speaker magnets, probably while the speakers were blasting, to affect anything.)

6. Mreilander

Mreilander Member

Laying a guitar on an amp will kill the pickup if it happens to be sitting right over the transformer. The transformer has an alternating magnetic field that will degause a magnet faster than you can say 'What the hell?'