• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Remedy for a plinky 335?

TheSchwartz

So I’ve had my ES-335 for a long time, and it’s always been a little plinky and zingy on the unwound strings. It honestly doesn’t bother me that much, but I’d rather it not be there.

Has anyone else experienced this? Would switching to nylon saddles for the G, B, and high E strings help?

dukeh62

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds more like a possible setup issue. I would confirm...
- The action isn't too low
- There's enough relief in the neck
- Frets/fretboard are level

Might also want to try some heavier strings.

That's where I'd start!

Sampler

Silver Supporting Member
Would switching to nylon saddles for the G, B, and high E strings help?
In my experience, yes. I have a 335 that was a little metallic and plinky like you describe and changing the saddles from stock brass to nylon softened the tone a bit.

marshall2553

So I’ve had my ES-335 for a long time, and it’s always been a little plinky and zingy on the unwound strings. It honestly doesn’t bother me that much, but I’d rather it not be there.

Has anyone else experienced this? Would switching to nylon saddles for the G, B, and high E strings help?
Nylon saddles would probably help. I went the opposite way. I thought my 335 that came with nylon saddles sounded a little dull, so I switched to brass and it was noticeably brighter.

frusciante

Silver Supporting Member
Make sure you have enough string windings on the tuning pegs so the break angle is strong enough and the string doesn’t vibrate in the nut slot.

Krausewitz

Are you talking all attack, no sustain?

Hopefully it's a set-up thing. If not your guitar might just be a dud (it's rare, in my experience, but it does happen).

Turnipfarmer

Make some adjustments to the tailpiece height.
Don't be afraid to cock it at a different angle than the bridge if that sounds right.

Trending Topics