Remember my rant on Artistic Integrity last week? One door closes, one door opens...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Scott Peterson, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

Some of you followed my story last week of an audition with a rock covers band that played the bar circuit around town and my getting lectured by a chop happy no-meter no-pocket drummer about artistic integrity while I held my tongue and smiled.

I talked to the singer of that project at length and shared my thoughts and opinions with him (he's a great guy and great singer); and it ended ok. (If you are in the SE Michigan area and want to step into a gigging situation NOW, and can work with the drummer and bassist to chill them out... they are still looking for a guitarist; they have gigs pending starting in March. PM me for details).

So last Friday as I made that call to the singer of the covers band, my buddy Mike calls me about a project he's working on now (Mike is a killer bassist; first call go-to guy around town) that he's really digging right here in my neck of the woods.

These guys are all original, have a very cool groove, killer material, insanely talented musicians and are doing a acoustic take on their material for live shows leading up to a DVD being shot in a local recording studio for national release by the end of May.

Here's the link: http://www.thesugarpeople.com/The_Sugar_People/Bio_Press.html

The lineup for this acoustic show they are calling the "Bedroom Sessions" is very hip. Female vocalist, Male vocalist, Drums, Keys (Fender Rhodes), Bass, Acoustic Guitar, Cello and Violin. They were hipped to me by Mike; they were looking for another acoustic guitar for these shows and the DVD session.

What a groovin' and cool opportunity this turned out to be! They are literally 5 minutes from my house. Their house is basically a full blown production/recording studio; these cats are very serious about this. They have serious industry backing, they have deep contacts, they are fully funded. The material is killer and the musicians on this are all first rate. The entire thing is flat out professional from the word 'go". Attention to the nth degree on every detail (tempos, harmonies, arrangements, pocket, groove, space, etc..); (yet open to suggestions), they audio record and video tape every rehearsal and show. They have crew that is running around handling all these things while we rehearsed. The whole thing is locked down tight, yet loose and totally groovin'. Serious focus on the songs and not on riffing madly.

I was sort of thrown into the fire (on purpose) this week on Wednesday and had to improvise a part for each tune and work on the fly. I played pretty subtle and tasteful stuff; this isn't a virtuoso gig for inviduals at all; it's focused on setting a pocket and doing the material complete justice.

They emailed me last night and invited me to be a part of the project moving forward; I accepted.

Just goes to show that one door closes, another opens.

2. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

That sounds great.

Good Luck, Scott!

3. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Great man...

Fingers crossed that you do great things with this outfit and have a good long run.

As for me...time will tell.

S.
    j

4. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

That does sound great on so many levels. No drama, serious people playing serious material, great connections for future work, and an opportunity to push your musicianship. Good for you Scott. Keep us up to date.

5. Glenn D.

Glenn D. Member

Very cool. Gig B sounds a thousand times better than Gig A could ever hope to be.

Glenn D.

6. billm408

billm408 Member

Sounds like a great situation Scott. Good luck!

After your ringing endorsement, I'm sure there's a line forming to audition in the laundry room! :rotflmao

7. RedRock

RedRock Member

Congratulations.

8. teleharmonium

teleharmonium Member

I guess I've been conditioned by other recent threads, as I read this waiting for you to close with a reference to some band member's heroin problem, or that the studio is infested with a supernatural quantity of fleas, or something like that.

Glad it worked out.

9. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

very cool, Scott... that sounds like it could be a great time.

10. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

nothing quite like biting your tongue...
    good for you.
    congratulations.

11. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Ahh, the rewards for maturity, judgetment and self-restraint ... when we were teenagers, who'd ever have thought that a mature attitude would pay off (GRIN).

That's great news Scott - rock 'em low and deep!

Congrats, Dana O.

12. 2leod

2leod Re-Member Gold Supporting Member

38 clicks from the town with a woman's name
    Right on!

Hopin' and prayin' this takes off for you. :AOK

13. jaycee

jaycee Member

Sounds like you scored! Good for you!

14. mprvise

mprvise Member

Well that's more like it! Congrats!

15. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Congrats on finding a cool gig close and worth your time.

16. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Wishing you all the best Scott. Sounds like a perfect situation. :RoCkIn

17. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing. Way better.... good luck.

18. PRSOPHILE

PRSOPHILE Member

Great! Sounds like you're gonna have a rockin' good time! Too bad about the other guys...........

19. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Very cool...Congratulations Scott! It's all about "The Groove & Pocket"...

20. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Supporting Member

Singing through a Blue Ball mic? I'm in! :D I love those things- mic my cab with one as often as possible, and have done a few vocal things with it at home, but have never seen one used on a stage as a main vocal mic. Love it!

The whole project sounds great. Congrats on landing such a cool gig. I hear some Zero 7, Sade, Prince, Chemical Brothers and Jamiroquai in there, too. (If I could get just one of those to channel through to my own stuff convincingly, I'd be a happy camper!)