Remember your first jam where you felt like you could actually play?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by eicca, Feb 1, 2015.

1. eicca

eicca Member

Man, what a great feeling! When you actually have enough knowledge of playing lead, blasting power chords, and knowing a few cool tricks to add a little sizzle, it's just exhilarating. It went so well my friend and I are legitimately going to recruit some other musicians and try and get a band together.

Practice pays off, y'all!

:JAM

2. saneff

saneff Gold Supporting Member

Yes I do. It was yesterday. Your post above is basically word for word what I'm feeling right now. We are starting a band and yesterday was my first ever jam with an actual drummer etc. it was awesome.

3. wstsidela

wstsidela I'm bonafied Gold Supporting Member

Don't stop. It gets better.

4. navin johnson

navin johnson Member

^^^ what he said. i did just like you are talking about. found a buddy to team up with and recruited a rhythm section. do it! you'll have a blast, and you'll likely improve from it as well.

5. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Man, that was a long time ago. Yes, great feeling for sure. For me it was more like, I felt I was doing what I was supposed to do. As mentioned above, keep at it....it gets better, and it gets worse, and it gets better again and etc....

6. MERKS

MERKS Supporting Member

Yea, that was a very cool moment. Years ago a buddy of mine, who is an advanced player, came over to spend the weekend. We were jamming together well into the early morning hours. I needed to stop and take a water break and when I returned he just looked at me and said, "who the hell are you?" We had jammed many times over the years but it all seemed to be falling in place that evening. I remember doing some things and just looking at him with a look of disbelief, like, did I just freaking pull that off? We laughed, played a little more than pulled out the Crown to celebrate my getting over the hump. He always told me, "stick with it and it will come, if playing guitar was easy everyone would do it!"

7. Dunzie

Dunzie Member

I do actually. That's generally in the learning cycle where you start playing TOO loud and TOO much and taking over the song a little more than you should... or at least I know I did. It's hard when you're feeling good and playing well to back off and let the song be the front and you the complement, and only step up when you should. Anyone else feel that?

8. 1224 Lee

1224 Lee Member

No . And I stopped jamming with humans...

9. telest

telest Member

Joined my first band in high school, and my growth as a player within a couple months was incredible. Kinda miss those days. :D

10. efnikbug

efnikbug Member

Nobody wants to play with me . . . :cry:

11. mannish

mannish Member

I do not remember that was a long time ago. I do remember when playing delta blues/slide guitar kicked in for me. I'd go see Johnny Shines often, come home tune to open G and try to play like him and not even close, I'd listen to Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson non stop....Then one day it worked, freaked me out. Wife was out of town she came home and I played Come On In My Kitchen she damn near cried. There was a black cat that had been hanging around but disappeared after I had learned to make it work. Coincidence but still part of the story :)

12. XKnight

XKnight Member

Same here, except I haven't improved much since then.

13. pbmw

pbmw Member

It's a great day when the sound in your head is heard outside of your head.
    Good times
    Don't stop. It gets better

14. Shmoo

Shmoo Member

I felt I could actually play. Played with the confidence that I thought I could play. Unfortunately I don't think anybody else enjoyed the experience. Gotta say though I totally loved it. I guess it is like people trying to learn to be stand up comics. They bomb but just keep getting back up and crafting their skills.

15. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

That was a long, long time ago. Keep at it, it just gets better...

16. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty

It gets better, it gets worse. You go through periods of growth and periods of stagnation. But it has to stay fun. Even when its not. That for me is the key to keep on spending the time, money and energy to do it.

For me, the first time that it all really clicked was actually on bass. Which is why the bass still holds a very special place in my heart.

17. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

No, it sneaked up on me.

Before I knew it I was demon posessed.

At least it is a friendly demon.

18. lhallam

lhallam Member

Enjoy guys. Sometimes you are going ask yourself if it's worth some of the extra BS and the frustration. For most of us it is worth it. Just keep at it.