Remember Your First Paying Gig?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by stucker, Jun 19, 2019.

1. stucker

stucker Member

It's time to test your old memories. Do you remember any details about your first paying gig?

FbIsNotE likes this.
  2. rodger

rodger Member

I was 18 (I'm 64 now). High school party. First band I was ever in. We played in the party giver's garage - mid February in NE Ohio. About 20 degrees. My fingers were numb after the 1st set. The band got 20 bucks. $5 a piece. Good times!

3. Shredzilla

Shredzilla Member

Still waiting for it.

Marz, jonnytexas, burner and 5 others like this.
  4. Old Possum

Old Possum Member

Yeah, the payment was more gear we didn't need that the drummer kept after the breakup, still want to find that dude.

jonnytexas and rodger like this.
  5. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I remember it not being very much...free drink and maybe enough gas money home.

jonnytexas likes this.
  6. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Kinda, 8th or 9th grade at the city hall building. They had a room in the basement they called "The Dog House" (school mascot was the Bulldogs). Teen dance. We played for $25.00. PA was a Bogen amp and two speakers that looked like what you see at high school football stadiums. I played a Farfisa combo organ and sang some songs. An older kid came in and hung his coat over one of the PA horns. I guess we weren't that impressive. Lol. We were called The Rainy Day Federation. Not a bad name really for the time. Had business cards. Played 60's stuff it was the 60's then lol. Drummers name was Frosty Cordrey. That is a great rocker name. Took our $5.00 each and bought milkshakes and burgers after the dance.

7. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

I remember it well. We played at a Junior High School "kids drop in night" one summer eve. There were two bands and we split the door. $73 split 8 ways. $9.12½ each. I bought a new set of Ernie Ball strings and two hits of purple microdot.

8. Badtone

Badtone Supporting Member

Yep; early 70's, we are all in high school and scored a gig at an "Ice Cream Social" at the local elementary school. I can't recall the exact pay, it was minimal for sure, but we got ice cream! We played for an hour and were, I would say, tolerated...

We had a Kustom PA, and I remember we played Inside Looking Out by GFR, Jim Dandy To The Rescue by Black Oak, Iron Man, the rest escape me

Oh, this being TGP, my rig was a 59 LP Jr. through a BF Bandmaster boosted by an LPB-1 - which, at the time, was considered "cheap" gear o_O I wish I had kept both, though I eventually replaced the Jr. for 20X what I sold the first one for...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  9. Madsen

Madsen Member

High School backyard birthday party for a kid who lived in the nicer part of town. They fed & paid us. I was amazed.

fretless and jonnytexas like this.
  10. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

Does the owner of the house walking into the "green" room and dropping an eightball on the table count?

11. RJLII

RJLII Member

Yup. Shoveling manure at a farm near where I lived. $2.50 an hour. Oh, you meant in a musical capacity? Still waiting for that one. They’ve all been Pro Bono so far.

jonnytexas likes this.
  12. Maltese Fan

Maltese Fan Member

’84 or ’85. I played in a post punk band with my closest friends. We somehow got lumped into the industrial scene.
    Played at The Masquerade in Ybor City, FL. With 2 other bands.
    Our band got.paid.$100 and free.beer.

fretless and jonnytexas like this.
  13. Dumdeediddle

Dumdeediddle Member

1st gig where I received any remuneration at all: Outside on a 2cnd story deck / House party. Pay - a pack of cigarettes. Very hard to get smokes at age 16 in those days.
    1st gig for actual money: $50.00 at a part of town (very multicultural) that no longer exists. I think I was 17.
    These would be going on 50 years ago I believe. Remember them well.

jonnytexas and Badtone like this.
  14. wstsidela

wstsidela Sedulous Gold Supporting Member

Late-70s high school backyard kegger. I got stiffed.

jonnytexas likes this.
  15. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

Each? Or to share?

jonnytexas likes this.
  16. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

In 1976 as a Freshman in College (at 17) , I joined into an all acoustic pop/folk group - the group had 2 very good singers ( only one played guitar), and I was the lead guitar ( sort of)- College Coffeehouse was first paying gig, maybe $15-20?
    Not much has changed since ( when it comes to the $$) - just a lot of time passed, and a lot of fun music!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    jonnytexas, wstsidela and Badtone like this.
  17. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

waaaaaah, noooooo

I crashed my motorcycle on my way home from work on the afternoon of the day we were supposed to play our first ever paying gig. Broke 3rd and 4th metacarpals in my left fretting hand :(:oops:

ended up selling all my band gear (PA, mics, stands, cables, hell even a half dozen milk crates to carry stuff in, my Ampeg V-4 with 8x10 cab, my strat - no big loss, it was a piece of *hit anyway) my bike and my car to pay my medical bills

thanks for reminding me, OP :mad:

(just kidding)

jonnytexas likes this.
  18. n9ne

n9ne Member

In high school, my band talked our school principal into letting us put on a school-sanctioned "library benefit concert" in the gym. Students were allowed to pay $1 to get out of class for an hour and watch us instead....so obviously the gym was completely packed. I believe we got $100 of the gate...the rest went to the library fund.

fretless, jonnytexas, Badtone and 2 others like this.
  19. ducker 1

ducker 1 Member

1973 -we played for an AAA Halloween party -made $45 big American bucks -we had a skull that lit up and the name of our band was Letha Wood because we found a headstone with that name on it- Letha apparently died in the 40s-I had an Airline 35 watt 1/12 combo and some fuzz pedal-we had a Peavey 4 channel mixer with a small Sure mic mixer that we used for the drums and guitar amp mics--All members of that band have passed except for me.

fretless, jonnytexas, QRSS and 2 others like this.
  20. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

1986. I had only been playing a little over a year. Stevie Ray Vaughan was my major influence. I had to learn Sultans of Swing and some other tunes in 2 nights. Rhythm only. I sang Voodoo Chile and got to solo for 24 bars. I played Friday and Saturday night. Made 40 bucks. The bar I played at is now a church and the leader of that band who asked my to play with them, goes to that church. Small world.