Remember Your First Paying Gig?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by stucker, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Slaphappy

Slaphappy Member

Outside party......probably around 19...........staring at my shoes and nervous as fark!

2. geekocaster

geekocaster Supporting Member

Early 90’s original band, they offered us either $50 cash or $100 in bar tab. We took the tab.

3. stephax

stephax Member

Well those weren't my first paid gigs -started at 16- but let me tell you it ain't cool being paid something like 150 euros per month during 10 months to play for a**hats like politics etc...

4. sandcastle

sandcastle Member

Yea, but it was not memorable.

5. stucker

stucker Member

I had recently started college at Auburn University and got a call from my good friend from high school and great guitarist, Allen Hinds. The other guitarist (and singer/band leader) he was working with had an opportunity to join a full-time group and Allen needed another guitarist for a gig that weekend at Pepper's bar. The band had four pieces - singer/bass player, drums and two guitars.

There was no time for a rehearsal. But Allen and I had jammed together many times at his mom's house on Magnolia Avenue so he figured I was up to the task. I had the chance to sit in at local jams in clubs before but this was the first chance I had to play an entire show - and get paid for it!

I honestly don't remember how much I got paid. But I do remember some of the great songs we played: Thrill Is Gone, One Way Out, Stormy Monday, Mister Magic, Ain't No Sunshine, Reeling In The Years (I did the kickoff on that one) and Statesboro Blues. We had a great response and I'll never forget the experience.

That group stayed together (with some member changes/additions) for over a year and started my addiction to playing in bands.