"Remembering Aretha Franklin" PBS special

saxophonist56

"good god almighty that that..... voice..... sure makes me feel real good!....."

they broke the mold with Aretha! funny how Smokey remembered her as a 5 year old playing piano and singing in her room....sounding like a 30 year old. hold old is Smokey!? he seems to have found the fountain of youth.

Sissy Huston led all the early backround vocals. no wonder whitney could sing.

i could run the first hour of that special on a loop!

Last edited:

B Money

Aretha's voice sounds like an instrument to me. I mean, not like a human singing.

Believe it or not, Brian Johnson has a voice like that too. I think I'm weird.

chillybilly

Can I play the (partial) role of heretic?

Talent? Undoubtedly. Historical/cultural impact/significance? Yes. Influence? Of course, although there were/are other gospel/church-raised belters especially her contemporaries even if they were lesser lights.

Where are the tunes though? Respect is one of those mental tape recorder numbers - you can hear the whole song in your head by dint of its repetition but its repetition dings its appeal somewhat. Proto-feminist anthem and all that. Beyond that I count A Natural Woman, I Never Loved A Man and Chain of Fools. Big hits, oft-covered, but they would barely fill one side of an LP.

From there...to where? Freeway Of Love? Granted, many existing stars made spectacles of themselves with mindless 80s candyfloss but if we're contrasting the dumbness of ditties with the stature of the artist then that song exemplifies such a contrast. Comparisons to Tina Turner, whose 80s renaissance actually had some meaning/substance/emotional content and had the usual cast of thousands as producers, songwriters etc, are unavoidable.

I'm looking at Franklin's greatest hits compilations - the titles are mostly standards (eg Spanish Harlem) done to death by many in the 60s. To be fair, Ike & Tina Turner's setlist was cover-heavy, most notably the reworking of Proud Mary.

This is, hopefully, a rather un-TGP post in which I hope to be talked out of my opinion (but not necessarily insulted). She's regularly called The World's Greatest Female Vocalist but the discography is littered with assembly line product a la Andy Williams, Tony Bennett, et al. I guess if you're billed primarily as a singer then Other People's Material is the coin of the realm especially given the machinations of the record biz at the time. Certainly one Elvis Aron Presley operated in this fashion.

But the feeling that a very large gap exists between honorifics and actual legacy on record is still hard to dismiss.

Last edited:

candid_x

Silver Supporting Member

Talent? Undoubtedly. Historical/cultural impact/significance? Yes. Influence? Of course, although there were/are other gospel/church-raised belters especially her contemporaries even if they were lesser lights.

Where are the tunes though? Respect is one of those mental tape recorder numbers - you can hear the whole song in your head by dint of its repetition but its repetition dings its appeal somewhat. Proto-feminist anthem and all that. Beyond that I count A Natural Woman, I Never Loved A Man and Chain of Fools. Big hits, oft-covered, but they would barely fill one side of an LP.

From there...to where? Freeway Of Love? Granted, many existing stars made spectacles of themselves with mindless 80s candyfloss but if we're contrasting the dumbness of ditties with the stature of the artist then that song exemplifies such a contrast. Comparisons to Tina Turner, whose 80s renaissance actually had some meaning/substance/emotional content and had the usual cast of thousands as producers, songwriters etc, are unavoidable.

I'm looking at Franklin's greatest hits compilations - the titles are mostly standards (eg Spanish Harlem) done to death by many in the 60s. To be fair, Ike & Tina Turner's setlist was cover-heavy, most notably the reworking of Proud Mary.

This is, hopefully, a rather un-TGP post in which I hope to be talked out of my opinion (but not necessarily insulted). She's regularly called The World's Greatest Female Vocalist but the discography is littered with assembly line product a la Andy Williams, Tony Bennett, et al. I guess if you're billed primarily as a singer then Other People's Material is the coin of the realm especially given the machinations of the record biz at the time. Certainly one Elvis Aron Presley operated in this fashion.

But the feeling that a very large gap between honorifics and actual legacy on record is still hard to dismiss.
As much as I love Aretha, this is great post.

sws1

I find this story EXTREMELY hard to believe. With a moments notice she just happened to have all the italian memorized, and could sing with the orchestra unrehearsed, based on just listening to a backing tape? And what show producer would agree to such an incredible risk at the last minute?

Popular music is littered with promotional BS. And this has to be one of them.

Either that, or there is alot of details that are exaggerated. e.g., she stepped in a week earlier.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
I find this story EXTREMELY hard to believe. With a moments notice she just happened to have all the italian memorized, and could sing with the orchestra unrehearsed, based on just listening to a backing tape? And what show producer would agree to such an incredible risk at the last minute?

Popular music is littered with promotional BS. And this has to be one of them.

Either that, or there is alot of details that are exaggerated. e.g., she stepped in a week earlier.
No worries. Keep your disbelief and simply enjoy the performance.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member

But the feeling that a very large gap exists between honorifics and actual legacy on record is still hard to dismiss.
Singer, not songwriter. But per my immediately prior reply, I’m not here to talk anyone out of his opinion. :)

Trending Topics