• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Remembering Sean Costello - Seven Years

stephenT

Seven years. Damn. Today is his birthday and the hole is just as big,.. and I still haven't heard anyone who comes close to his talent and abilities.

Beyond that he was a close friend, I have great memories of us playing together but the times that meant the most were just hanging out, having lunch, talking.

If you didn't know him let me tell you he was smart, kind, shy, a student of the blues and if you never heard him play live,.. you missed one of the best musicians who walked our planet. If you were lucky enough to be at a Northside Tavern gig where he was playing for his friends you know what I'm talking about.

On guitar he was fearless, let's begin w/ with him doing some Freddy King with five strings. I remember picking Sean up for lunch and sitting outside his apartment for half hour listening to him play, this was one of the songs.

Here's Sean at Northside around 2:00 am playing a guitar i built for him (but his '53 LP will always be The Guitar).

The poster for this years memorial celebration, I took this photo on the front porch of his apt in Atlanta. If you're in town this weekend come on out. And please, post your favorite Sean video.

Last edited:

ChazFromCali

I didn't get hip to Sean until after he passed, unfortunately. I really wished I could've seen him play live. Amazingly talented musician, one of the best EVER, IMO.

He was the real thing, that's for sure.

Not a bit of hype about him. I'll be listening to his recordings as long as I live.

mark676

Love his tone and style....no one like him since, an entrepreneur of the blues !!!
Happy Birthday to Sean.......truly missed !!!

stephenT

I didn't get hip to Sean until after he passed, unfortunately. I really wished I could've seen him play live. Amazingly talented musician, one of the best EVER, IMO.

Sean turned me on to J.B. Lenoir's Vietnam Blues: Complete L & R. A little known classic, one of the best Blues albums period. JB's last two releases produced by Willie Dixon, acoustic w/ Freddie Below on a few songs.

sausagefingers

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks OP. Whenever I start watching SC videos on youtube, I usually end up watching dozens of them. So good.

cram

He seemed to play with such comfort and freedom. I first heard him play on a mix-cd someone made for a weekend canoe trip. He had his version of "I got loaded"

I too get stuck on his music when I start listening - I find something new out there for video each time.

This version of I'm a ram has him snap a string as well -

EricPeterson

Listening to "At his Best" right now. Dude can play (not to mention sing his ass off). such a loss.

Now I am really gassing for a Goldtop with p-90s.

wstsidela

B.L.M.
Platinum Supporting Member
He seemed to play with such comfort and freedom. I first heard him play on a mix-cd someone made for a weekend canoe trip. He had his version of "I got loaded"

I too get stuck on his music when I start listening - I find something new out there for video each time.

This version of I'm a ram has him snap a string as well -
That's the video that made me a fan.

mr tom

I hope people always keep discovering Sean's music. I'd talk and write more, but, well, words fail. "One of the all time greats" just about sums it up. Thanks for starting this, Stephen, I know you miss the kid too.

Birdseye

Gold Supporting Member
Sean sure was one of the all time greats. One of those very few who made music that endures the test of time. I feel lucky to have seen him play a lot, and even more to have called him a friend.

tapeworm

I also didn't find out about him til after his passing but this guy is heavy in my rotation. I am always looking for new stuff I haven't heard by him, the guy is simply inspiring. He was the embodiment of soul. You could just see, feel and hear it pouring out of him. RIP.

Last edited:
Sean would've been the "next big thing" if someone had gotten behind him like whoever did JB. Sean had that "thing" like the 3 Kings or SRV, that soulful honesty that just bled through the speakers.

My band covers 3 of his tunes, and I can say he's harder to cover than damn near anybody. He had SO many nuances and fingerings while playing with a ton of soul.

Sean popped up on my radar back in '97 or whenever Susan Tedeschi's first real album came out. The guitar playing was the first "real" blues guitar I'd heard since 1992. There were LOTS of posers and SRVannabees but nobody who meant it. I heard that immediately, first cut. So I had to find out who this guy was... he was fronting the Jive Bombers at the time (swing was the thing back then).

He joins guys like Roy Buchanan, so much talent in his head it killed him trying to get it out. Artists like that need to be cared for, while us posers should just lay down our axes and appreciate true genius.

Trending Topics