Remmendations for cable and angle plugs (UK based)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dave Wakely, May 25, 2008.

1. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Putting together the proper pedal board, rather than the random tangle of boxes and wires at my feet. I've been reading various threads here, and have 'learned' a little so far (GL solderless may seem a doddle to put together, but not the best cable and the connections can fail if you don't do the job right).

I need to get the the task finished quickly (big event in a couple of weeks), and welcome the advice of those who've been there many times before me on a good quality cable and angle jack-plugs - the latter preferably as space saving as possible: there are a lot of pedals and I don't want use a third of the stage just for a pedalboard (it'll also be used at home in a home studio with minimal floor space). Soldering not a problem - I live with highly qualified electrical engineer! :) - but I want to do a good job that won't compromise sound.

Thanks in advance for pointers and advice.

2. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I started with the georgel ls and had problems with them (many do, many dont) so I tried planet wave sloderless and they NEVER gace me any problems...sounded better than the george l's also...

there are alot of threads around here concerning this and from what I have read planert waves are NOT the only alternative to george l's, but they are the only ones I have tried

3. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Thanks, semi-hollowbody. Quick question to all and sundry: I' guessing it's the solderless nature of the plug design that's the root cause of potential problems. Can these plugs be soldered, even if they're not intended to, or should I just buy different plugs.

Any tips on good UK-based suppliers from any other UK-based TGPers would be very welcome too.

4. SkipTracer

SkipTracer Member

I'd recommend Switchcraft 226 right angle plugs and Cordial CIK 122 cable. Nothing fancy, just reliable, rugged and good sounding. The 226's are very low profile, and the Cordial cable is low capacity, double-shielded and very flexible.

You can get the plugs on ebay. You'll probably save quite a bit if you order from the US. The Cordial cable you can get from thomann.de in Germany (if you can't find a dealer in the UK), and it's really inexpensive as well.

5. Matybigfro

Matybigfro Member

check out award session websited they do custom cable ordering it might not be too expensive if you know all your lengths to just get them to make them up and send em out to you

yea i wanted to keep it to single channel amps using only dirt pedals for the major overdrive crunch or distortion

http://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html

6. ljdsam

ljdsam Member

I scouted around, struggled to find what I wanted, and ended up turning to Lavacable in the US - prices aren't bad at all (depending on the dollar).

Can't comment on the quality yet though, the order went awol in the post (dammit), so still waiting.

7. froglord

froglord Member

I've ordered cables from Award-Session a number of times and I've always been happy with quality, price and service.

The angled jacks they use are not the smallest I've seen, but they do look robust.