Remove Paint Off A Spray Painted Boss Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by matthornet, Feb 6, 2012.

1. matthornet

matthornet Member

I just acquired a Boss TR-2 today for $33. Thought it was a steal but when I popped open the box, I was surprised to see that the foot switch part of the enclosure was spray painted white! The previous owner did so as a measure to protect his tone by keeping his pedal lineup a secret. Bah! most guitarists could tell with one look anyway...

[​IMG]

Does anyone have any idea how to remove the white spray paint without messing up the original finish? From a paint chip at the edge, I could tell that it is just a single layer (thankfully). But if all else fails, I'd just keep it as it is or paint some graphics on the white canvas. Could add some character to the old Boss look I hope.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  2. JP~)

JP~) Member

I would start with mineral spirits and a soft rag. If that doesn't work, then try the same with very fine steel wool. Should take the spray paint off w/o removing the baked on enamel finish. I use the same method when restoring old tools with a baked on finish. It will not remove the baked on finish, but it could take some patience and elbow grease to get the spray paint off...also, do this in a well ventilated place or outside

3. matthornet

matthornet Member

Would rubbing alcohol be a good spirit to start with?